Depression – and something else

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Depression – and something else

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Glowgirl 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Glowgirl
    Participant

Hi everyone!So pleased to have found this useful forum.

I’m kind of going it alone. I’m a 47 year old woman and I’ve been diagnosed with depression and anxiety which I’ve had chronically, there was actually an onset in my mid teens. Lack of concentration as we all know is a symptom of depression & anxiety, and the doctors and I always put it down to this. However over the years I have really felt that it was something independent. I found study virtually impossible because I would not be able to concentrate even for a second, my mind would be reeling. By my early twenties I had managed to sit down and study for an hour at a time even though it would leave me jumpy and having to dance around to music most of the rest of the day. Now, I’m actually at the point where I can sit down and work at the level I need to do a degree (I’m studying counselling, I need to study something I’m really interested in) which I’ve nearly finished.

Then there are the stupid mistakes at work. I’ve always made them, and made more of them than I should, even though I tell myself firmly that I’m going to concentrate. I don’t have any of the other symptoms of add, I’m really quiet and when I was young was well behaved. But it’s something. It is present when the depression isn’t. Anxiety always makes it worse, but it’s present even when that is not. I also don’t like anything involving mental organisation. It’s not that I can’t do it, just that I don’t want to.

I’ve read books by people like Dr Amen and I try to do lots of exercise, long walks each week and yoga or rowing machine every day. I do think that this help even though it’s a lot of work. My other personal problems are doubtless tied up with it, but I feel as though I haven’t lived up to my potential. I guess I’m wondering whether anyone feels that it’s worth going to the doctor about this.

3Kats
    Participant

You are not alone. I’m 56 and find that my symptoms have worsened as I’ve gotten older. It surprises me how unmotivated and undisciplined I’ve gotten, and my depression and anxiety are exacerbated by the sense that I will never live up to my potential. I’ve been trying to find ways to deal with the challenges of ADHD naturally, but realize I probably need to see a doctor or therapist and find the right medication that will help me feel more focused and calm while not dampening my creativity. I am able to put on a happy and friendly front, but on the inside I am an angry mess and I don’t like myself for that. I know I have it in me to do better, but I’ve got to get out of my own way.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Women and girls are notoriously diagnosed with depression and/or anxiety and then experience years of failed treatment for those conditions only to find out much later that it was actually ADHD.

ADHD Looks Different In Women. Here’s How — and Why.

Women with ADHD: No More Suffering in Silence

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Glowgirl
    Participant

Yes, thanks very much for your support. I’m lucky I find my symptoms aren’t getting worse, but I’m concerned about the difficulty of getting a proper diagnosis. (I live in Brisbane, Australia). I think I’ll keep doing what I’m doing right now, and maybe just mention it to my doctor next time I go.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.