Dementia or ADD (An "older fella's question as I'm 68)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Dementia or ADD (An "older fella's question as I'm 68)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Uncle Dharma 3 months ago.

• Author

Kangkung
    Participant

I was diagnosed ADD in the ’80’s and have used Ritalin (methylphenidate) effectively. (Though oftentimes I’ll rely more on caffeine).

With a lot of effort ADD is surmountable and I’m proof of that.

Lately I have increased problems with memory, attention, distraction so much so it makes me wonder if I’m developing early Alzheimer’s. I’m working on my 4th college degree ad have done well in them with a GPA of 3.5/4 overall. Yet if you were to look at my transcript you can see the issues, especially in math, and with other courses and quite a few were “dropped out” or “repeated.” I did manage to get through a BS in chemistry only because the college waived Calculus, mainly because I did so well and used math well in discussions. But on paper…oh my.

Now, at a age 68 I find myself “locked out” of continuing in a college program until I complete Statistics and I’m having such a hard time.

So here is the specific question:

Does ADD attention span, and certain forms of memory, as well as distractibility get worse for elders. (Note: call me an elder to my face and I’ll smack ya)

By the way Kangkung means “water spinach” an Asian veggie that I enjoy.

Uncle Dharma
    Participant

Hi there Kangkung,
    I think that distractibility can get worse, or harder to manage.
    My short-term memory is dreadful, but I can recall stuff that I read years ago.
    Recently, I have noticed that I am finding it harder to remember some details.

I am 67 years old and on meds for about 10 years. Currently I am divorced, and retired.
    I am looking for a job, and this is mainly to get into a routine again.
    With a partner, and with kids, you are focussed and in a routine whether you want to be or not. There are things that HAVE to be done.

I enjoy being on my own, but the lack of focus is an issue.
    Recently, I joined a dementia research project. No feedback yet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.