Decision Making

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Shar58
      Participant

I am having a real hard time with decision making. I am 60 and was diagnosed 6 mths ago. I have contacted an atty about social security. Other than ADHD I have several ‘annoying” conditions, none of which on their own would probably qualify me on there own. I have a primary care provider who wants keep throwing pills at me. A shrink who is complacent. I have made several calls, there is no help for unique situations I guess. Can’t focus long enough to get anything done. When I do get an idea, sounds good until it starts demanding too much energy to put forth. I am always thinking of what can wrong before even starting. When I feel interest in an idea, for work I start off feeling pretty excited, then either loss interest or forget I had the idea in the first place. On another note, classic ADHD moment – I make a list of things to do for the next day, then I look for the list and can’t find it. That’s laughable. I heard Adderall is less effect for older people? don’t know of anyone else has heard that?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are some unique issues for “seniors” with ADHD. Here are some insights that might help your current challenges:

Growing Old with ADHD: 5 Common Challenges After 60

Inside the Aging ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

grizzly111
      Participant

Hi Shar, I am 46 and I have some of the same challenges you do. I can identify totally with your description of how you could be excited about an idea until you think about actually spending the effort. And with the lists you make but either lose, forget about, or choose to ignore. As far as decisions, I can stare at 2 jackets on a rack for an hour and can’t decide which one to buy. I don’t have any magic elixirs, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have tried different medications and strategies, but I am still looking for solutions. It sounds like you need to find a new therapist — one who deals with people with ADHD. I find that people having no experience with ADHD symptoms have a hard time even believing that these simple brain functions are out of our control. Maybe ask your primary care facility if they can recommend a counselor who specializes in treating ADHD, or do some research on people in your area.
      Best of luck,
      Adam

penguindrooster
      Participant

You are not alone my distracted sister. I too am 60 and am dealing with the same symptoms. I’m trying different meds but part of the problem is that there’s an upper limit on the dosage of ADD medicine so the aging brain may not be able to get everything it needs.
      One trick that has helped me immensely is that I try to work as much as possible with people under 30—especially on projects. Their enthusiasm and drive perfectly complements my experience and talents. Together we become a pushmi-pullyu of getting things done.
      And you’ll be surprised how happy the younger crowd is to have our help, they’re much better people than we were at that age.
      Hang in there and remember that you’re getting more done than you think—part of ADHD is that you forget to look backward and count your accomplishments for the week.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by penguindrooster. Reason: graphs
      Two Feathers
      Participant

At 57, I can relate. I have encountered the same kinds of issues. What has worked most effectively so far for me is:

1. Find an NES bio-energetics practitioner. A large part of my problem turned out to be that my subtle energy system (electromagnetic in nature) was not aligned right with earth’s electromagnetic grid. Your issues may be different; if so, their machine will identify them. It reads for wavelengths indicating specific viruses, organ issues, meridian issues, toxins, heavy metals, vitamin and mineral absorption problems, emotional patterns, and more. It nailed several specific issues I already had diagnosed – and a few I didn’t know about. Their solutions are elegant and effective: give the body the frequencies it needs to correct itself, imprinted into water. My mind cleared up tremendously on the very first day; I was really astonished! My physical energy improved a lot, too. Based on my experience, I think the NES bio-energetic technologies will be the medicine of the future.

2. Another, more low-tech, help is what are called “living” flower remedies, corrective energetic imprints from nature that help your physical, mental, and emotional bodies correct themselves. They too help correct your body’s energetic “misprogrammed software.” You would have to diagnose yourself, however, unless you hire a practitioner, so they’re a bit more trial-and-error. Ordinary flower remedies are helpful, but the “living” ones are taken from living flowers in the wild and then boosted – as a result they are much more powerful. You can take up to 5-6 at a time. Just put 4 drops in spring water and sip through the day. For indecision, try Scleranthus. For constant fatigue, Hornbeam. To get out of dreaminess and into action, try Clematis and Blackberry. For being too quickly discouraged, try Gentian. For faith in self, resilience, and courage, Penstemon. If, like me, you tend to downshift energetically in the face of stress (a pattern from childhood that may have kept you alive, it is not helping you now), try Tansy. There are hundreds more, and therapists using these as adjuncts to talk therapy are getting great results (Europeans are trying them more than Americans, to date). You can read case studies and learn everything you’d ever want to know about flower essences at flowersociety.org. The bible of flower essences, The Flower Essence Repertory, cross-referenced and searchable by keyword, is included with membership, which is about $25 a year. You can search articles on ADHD, any disorder or symptom, any word, any flower, and their database is massive.

I realize that vibrational medicine is a new paradigm for many people, so for whomever reads this, please try to keep an open mind. Unless you try something, how do you know it doesn’t work? I’m so glad I gave them a chance! Both these modalities have made a huge difference for me. The flower essences also work very well with animals, in my experience – horses, dogs, and cats – so I know it isn’t suggestibility causing the improvements. (Haven’t tried an animal on the NES machine, it’s pretty new, so I don’t know if anyone has yet.) Remember, folks, if we keep doing what we’ve always done, we keep getting what we’ve always gotten. Keep an open mind.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Two Feathers. Reason: misspelling
Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.