Daily Essential Nutrients

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  charlesjones 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

GML1981
    Participant

Has anyone tried Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals for their ADHD child? I am considering for my son but was hoping to hear some honest feedback before tyring. Thank you

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I had never heard of it and looked it up. You have to be very careful with supplements — kids with ADHD and autism seem to have more genetic abnormalities that cause side effects with medications and supplements. For instance, my son has the MTHFR polymorphism. So, folic acid and unmethylated B6 and B12 cause significant negative mood reactions. This supplement looks like it has all the methylated versions, so that leads me to believe this company probably has more knowledge about ADHD, autism, etc. My son takes several of the ingredients in this blend individually.

MTHFR: Another Piece of the ADHD-Genetics Puzzle

You should always talk with your doctor before giving supplements — they are not regulated like medications and there are some possible negative interactions.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

GML1981
    Participant

Hi Penny,
    Thank you for responding. May I ask how you got your son tested for MTHFR mutation? I am going to speak to my sons doctor this week and I have long list of questions to ask. I need to do more for him and am looking into all possible options.

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

We did the Neurogenomic Profile, which I believe was a cheek swab, if I remember correctly. It was a kit and was mailed in. Many people do 23 and Me for this information, because you also get a ton more information with that test.

What’s most important is finding someone who is really knowledgable about MTHFR, which is very difficult. The integrative meds doc that suggested the test for my son and gave us the kit, really didn’t have a good understanding of what to do to address it. We actually had worse outcomes with the treatment she suggested and ending up not supplementing for it at all for two years, not knowing what to do and not getting positive results. I came back to it about a year ago, supplementing with 1-2 items at a time and very low doses, and had more success.

Addressing the MTHFR didn’t change any ADHD symptoms for my son, but it did help with medication sensitivities and that sort of thing.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Lys
    Participant

Looks similar to Thorne Children’s Basic Nutrients, which I just ordered but did not receive yet (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGZG0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). People’s reviews look positive for it, and it’s significantly cheaper, if the price I saw on the Hardy Nutritionals website is the retail price. Start with the smallest dosage you can, because a too high dose of methylfolate can give its own reactions in susceptible people. I take the Thorne grown-up B vitamin once a week and the methylated compounds do make a difference.

If you want to go down the MTHFR rabbit hole (lots of complexity here), take a look at http://mthfr.net/. If you ever tried to go vegan and failed miserably, or if the child’s behaviour is at its best on animal protein (2 eggs every morning made a difference for mine in school behaviour and focus), chances are MTHFR is involved.

GML1981
      Participant

Thank you both. My son is newly diagnosed and I am learning so much. Overwhelmed with all the information but desperate to help him and figure out the best plan of treatment. I appreciate your input Penny and Lys.

pfiagibbs
    Participant

Anecdotal information [such as individual reports to someone about their personal experience with something] is fine. We can learn a lot from it. But from my perspective, I prefer to find out whether there is any evidence-based research on a topic.

There’s a lot that’s been said over time, and there have been lots of promoted cures, even some called miracles, when it comes to diet/nutrition/adhd. What I wanted to find out was whether some scientific body had done what’s called a meta-review [basically what in the heck is out there and is there any statistically relevant correlation between any given diet/supplement/nutrition approach. Luckily, I just came across this just recently published meta-analysis:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0169277

Forewarning: This is a scholarly, scientific article. So if you’re not used to reading scientific study results in scholarly format, the article may make your brain twist inside its cranium. [But remember, same holds true for your as when Christoper Robin told Pooh: you’re smarter than you think, so do give reading this a go, especially the recommendations and conclusion sections]. You can make an appointment with your/your child’s/etc health care provider to help you cull through the data….especially the recommendations and conclusion sections. Please do not expect your health care provider to discuss this via phone or email. An appointment really is important so you can wisely utilize the information for the particular patient. As a courtesy and to make your appointment most effective, it would be helpful to send a link to the article prior to your appointment.

ayella2323
    Participant

GML1981 did you end up trying the DEN? If so what has been the outcome so far? I am considering this for my son and everything looks promising but I’m looking for more feedback from others. Thanks!

mamaeps
    Participant

They just printed an article about a 10 week blinded study using a Daily Essential Nutrients (13 vitamins, 17 minerals, 4 amino acids) that showed a significant improvement in the group receiving the DEN over the placebo. It does not name the company that made the DEN capsule or the dose but if you link the the research perhaps it does, but you can’t see it unless you subscribe to a medical journal site.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319763.php

JennPimentel
    Participant

Daily Essential Nutrients has been a game changer for our family. It has allowed my son to overcome a long list of symptoms which return when he misses a few doses. Biggest changes I notice are: reduction in aggression, better attitude, easier rebound from change in schedule, reduced to 0 arm flapping, and he sleeps better. His teacher is amazed at how he is doing this year in school because his teacher last year warned her (before he started Daily Essential Nutrients) that he would be out of control. Not one issue this year.

elleche
      Participant

I’m looking at these too – they are the brand used by Julia Rucklidge in her studies in ADHD and around 36 others (not just ADHD related).
      I am curious JennPimental are you at there recommended ADHD dose of 12 caps a day and did you monitor your child’s bloods for nutrient levels – I am concerned about how high the dose is.

elleche
    Participant

My son is almost 8 with ADHD using Ritalin 10mg 1.5 tabs a day. We’ve been using DEN for a little over a month, 12 caps a day. We’ve found it helped with managing the come downs from the Ritalin and his general emotional well being. We tried reducing his dose of Ritalin and found that he struggled with his impulse control and focus again so we returned to his regular dose. Since then we’re probably more on a 4 capsule twice a day routine and also use a high dose EPA fish oil (Nordic naturals EPA xtra) 4 caps a day. We’ve just run out of DEN and we’ve certainly seen a difference in his emotional control, melt down city. So we will go back on it, at least for another month, then I want to get blood tests to understand what optimum looks like for him. We’ve just done 23 and me genome testing and promethius which shows some SNPs that can impact vitamin D absorption, mthfr gene as he also has a SNP that may react poorly to vitamin E so I’d like to refine what he is getting and if possible save some money too.

charlesjones
    Participant

Hi, thanks for sharing the post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.