DAE constantly seek pleasure?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond DAE constantly seek pleasure?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

AfricanQueen86
    Participant

I am seeing a new psychiatrist and doing testing for ADHD.

One of the things that interfere most with my functioning is that I constantly seek pleasure or seek out pleasurable activities. Online shopping, sex, weed, alcohol, reading about topics that interest me, binge eating, you name it.

It’s like I can’t ‘tolerate’ any other tasks. If I do start another task, I think about pleasurable activities 5 minutes in. It’s like I have no self control. It’s very distressing and it’s increasing my anxiety around work.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Avoiding discomfort is a big issue for many with ADHD. Right now, most of your coping mechanisms are unhealthy. Finding healthy alternatives/replacement behaviors and choosing them in those moments is very, very hard, but it’s paramount. Also, building your distress and discomfort tolerance is necessary.

EMDR or CBT can help with this.

The Truth About Treating ADHD with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.