Cub Scouts- Our Lifesaver

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TaurusMoon
      Participant

Good morning all,

I just recently stumbled across this forum and as I read over the topics I want to yell “PREACH!”

My son is 10 years old and in the 4th grade. Last spring, he was diagnosed with ADHD Hyperactive/Impulsive Type. Before his diagnosis we were flying by the seat of our pants (still are,) but we have a good sense of who he is, minus the formal diagnosis.

My kiddo is a busy lad and loves “tech” like most kids of his generation. Alas, he cannot have “all tech, all of the time.”

Cue Cub Scouts. When sonny boy was in 1st grade, we had recently re-entered him into brick and mortar school. We enrolled him in his school’s Cub Scout Pack and never looked back.

Hands on activities, outings, camping, crashing around outdoors and having a structured but tactile activity experience spoke to this child!

We have been all in since 1st grade and now sonny is on his 4th year. My husband and I are Den Leaders this year in fact!

I HIGHLY recommend trying scouting for our children and parents, get yourselves involved, too. Even if you or your child have NEVER done scouting before, it’s okay. Stop by a Den or Pack meeting and check it out!

It truly saved us from the isolation we had been feeling and finally allowed our son to feel included in something. The values learned in scouting help with social skills and team building, as well as build your child up as an individual.

Look for an active Pack. If your school’s pack is boring or non existent, search for other packs in your area on the Boy Scouts of America website. Ask questions! If you are up for the challenge, start as a Den Leader or offer to start a Pack!

After feeling like we were the only people in the world with our busy, emotionally intense child, I cannot tell you how happy I felt watching my son at “Mom and Son” camp or den activities laughing and diving in to play with everyone else…

Good luck!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your successes!

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

I wholeheartedly agree! My son is part of Boy Scouts and we love our Troop. It seems to give enough structure and rules balanced with tangible awards (merit badges) and skill building that my son is really thriving in it.

The BSA is going digital now, so like the original poster said you can find packs, dens and troops online. All of those are more than welcoming to newcomers. Also, in August/September a lot of packs, dens and Troops have a sort of open house to attract new recruits. I’d look for a group that has long term leadership that is willing to talk to parents about ADHD or other disabilities. Our leaders are more than accommodating and accepting but also work to help teach independent skill sets – simple things like properly folding a sleeping bag or preparing eggs over a camp fire.

OP – Good luck on your kiddos Arrow of Light if you’re going for that. I know our troop is starting rehearsals to present the arrow of light to some Webelos soon. Good luck in Boy Scouts next year. It’s a lot of fun!

TaurusMoon
        Participant

Thank you @ Pump2Duncan! We are working on our “Stronger, Faster, Higher” requirement for Webelos with a den meeting just last night! Good luck to you and yours this scouting year and in years to come!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.