Cousin is self-diagnosing ADHD but we want professional confirmation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Cousin is self-diagnosing ADHD but we want professional confirmation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      hithere0-0
      Participant

Hi, my cousin is currently a high school freshman, but he is failing nearly all of his classes——he doesn’t do his homework (though most, if not all, of his teachers have given him extensions) and he claims that he can’t focus in or out of class. From what I understand, he spends most of his time at home either playing video games, watching Youtube, sleeping, or pacing around the house. His lack of motivation/concentration in school started escalating around when he was in eighth grade. His parents come from a cultural background that would normally simply dismiss symptoms of ADHD or ADD as laziness, so they don’t really understand and are becoming impatient with what they consider his problematic behavior. However, they have been willing to seek professional diagnosis and treatment, although the help they have found has left them feeling even more doubtful of that ADHD is actually a thing.
      For one, our normal physician recommended them a doctor/psychiatrist that they did visit. However, my cousin was apparently only in her office for about ten minutes (I wasn’t there personally) before they left with a prescription for medicine (I presume it was for ADHD). She did not, or at least barely talked to his parents/other family members, and I am unsure if she gave them forms for the school/his teachers to fill out.
      Because his parents and his sister felt uncertain about how quickly that first psychiatrist prescribed him medicine, they decided to make an appointment with a hospital doctor. They had to wait about two months for this appointment, and in the meantime my cousin continued taking the medicine prescribed to him. This second doctor also saw them for a very short period of time, and this time they left with forms for the school/his teachers to fill out. However, the bill for this short visit came up to $600, and I their family is both not willing and incapable of spending so much per session, especially since not much was accomplished. This happened December last year.
      Relatively recently-ish, the first doctor has also changed my cousin’s medicine (he said it seemed to help a little, but his family said that there were no changes in his behavior). However, this second medicine also did not seem to do much, and his parents had him stop taking it because they said it made him look very sickly. My cousin’s sister and I have told their parents that if they do not feel that the medicine is working properly/the medicine has negative side effects then they should talk to the psychiatrist, but they have yet to do so.

I’m really sorry about these long blocks of text, but we all feel kind of out of our depths. I am also in high school, so I don’t really know how to approach/feel uncomfortable talking to his parents without a definitive plan, especially since they are getting more and more impatient with the situation/lack of progress. Any advice or referrals would be extremely appreciated, as well as any personal experiences (if you’re comfortable sharing) so we have a better idea of what the diagnosis/treatment process should look like. I’ve done/am doing some cursory research, but any advice/suggestions would be really helpful. Thank you!!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s what an ADHD evaluation should look like:

Your Complete ADHD Diagnosis and Testing Guide

It an be very costly if not covered by insurance.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Bobmctx
      Participant

Good answer Penny!
      Hello there , hi there! It is tough to find a medication to treatADHD.
      Getting in touch with a good doctor who understands it is even tougher. The drugs that is successful to most (50+ %) ADHD patients are stimulants( Adderall, Ritalin). Do you know what medicines that your cousin was prescribed? And what dosages?
      Have your cousin read as much as possible about the different medications so that he will be knowledgeable about them before he takes them. Knowledge is power!

MrObvious
      Participant

Can you find out the names of the meds?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.