Could this be a basis for an assessment/sound like ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Could this be a basis for an assessment/sound like ADHD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Snack_box
      Participant

Hi everyone!
      I found out about ADHD about a few months ago when I thought I might have bipolar; read about ADHD and it just clicked that I might have it, but am still not sure. Maybe I am just book smart not street smart and lazy and unresponsible and that’s it? It would be extremely helpful if someone took a look at this list and stated their opinion:)
      My childhood symptoms:
      – Hyperfocus on anime/games for years (until 10) – I wouldn’t really talk with anyone much, forget to eat if not for my mom. Basically from school to computer was my life
      – Studied well due to strict parents
      – Sensitive (once cried, because I was not on the same team in bowling as the birthday girl)
      – People misunderstood me
      – Empathy and other people’s feelings were a mystery to me until my teens
      – Being extremely blunt and direct with people to the point I asked my mom and best-friend to not be polite but be blunt with me, because I do not get the reading between the lines bit
      Now:
      – Got better with people – but now I interrupt them, zone out in longer conversations/stories
      – A slave to getting a “hit” of pleasure – reddit, games, a lot of binge eating
      – Can spend a few hours doing nothing
      – Coffee/extreme lack of sleep makes me feel like a normal human being where I can just do things/actually hear people
      – Brain fog
      – Am fluent in 2 other languages, but can not for the life of me speak normally in them when multitasking, having brain fog. I have worked with people not fluent in them and it is not the same – they use other words, you can understand the point – not with me
      – My dad and I constantly fight, because I misunderstand instructions, what to buy in store etc.
      – Counting cash is a no-no
      – Forgetting to reply to people/thinking I’ll reply later, because it is too boring
      – Forgot my keys in a lock 3 times this year. Only thing keeping me from doing it more is actually “turning my brain on” before leaving if that makes sense

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The only way to know if it’s ADHD for sure is to seek a professional evaluation.

Your Complete ADHD Diagnosis and Testing Guide

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Snack_box
        Participant

Thank you for the reply,

I was not expecting a diagnosis on here, but more if these symptoms are more typical for those with ADHD, sound like it. It’s more for assurance that I should get a professional evaluation. Well either way, I did listen to your advice and have booked an appointment today.

Laurs
      Participant

I can relate to almost all of your symptoms that you have listed. I have an ADHD diagnosis. I am an older female who in the last few years sought out a professional diagnosis as my symptoms eventually got out of my control due to anxiety issues that came with my symtoms. I ended up seeking help in order to continue to achieve the ability to act as a comfortably functioning person….. leading to my feeling the need to respond. I agree with the statement “The only way to know if it’s ADHD for sure is to seek a professional evaluation.” It is important to seek out professional assistance in order to achieve a full diagnosis, which could take time. This is best approach in order to find the best way to select or access appropriate coaching, counselling or medication. You may very well have overlapping conditions, as a you also mentioned bipolar. If you are coping and managing to keep your life on track and you feel productive, competent and content, then maybe a diagnosis is not necessary for you. In reading your comment, sounds like you are curious about the symptoms and are looking to put a label on them, but that you are managing alright. I could be reading this incorrectly, but if that’s the case, then just keep recognizing your symptoms in order to create and/or continue with the coping strategies that work best for you. If it’s manageable, that’s great, keep doing what you are doing and be true to yourself and work with your strengths, it doesn’t matter what others think. It’s you that counts and if you are figuring out how you function best, that is fantastic, keep it up. Why get a diagnosis? ~ which is just my opinion. However, if you are struggling and finding it difficult /exhausting / overwhelming etcetera, then seek out professional assistance in order to get a formal diagnosis, and the help you deserve. Not sure if this answers your question but hope it helps in some way. All the best to you on your journey.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Laurs.
      Snack_box
      Participant

Thank you for the assurance, Laurs!

Just like you, my symptoms have started to cause me anxiety and depression issues which I alone can no longer cope with. Over the years, strategies like setting alarm clocks for everything and hundreds of lists have helped… when it’s quiet and I am alone. But having a job in any sort of environment leads to me being overwhelmed and burnt out quickly and soon my “quirkiness” starts to show, long lasting relationships or the formation of them is simply impossible, it gets too boring/forgetfulness to reply etc. I have simply given up on having a normal life and this is my last hope on getting diagnosed and finding what is wrong with me.
      Anyways, all I wanted to say is thank you for the reply and it has made me more confident in getting professional help – I have booked an appointment today for an assessment.

Laurs
      Participant

What you have shared of your story sounds very familiar to me. Good to hear that you have taken the first step, that is monumental! Keep going forward, stay strong and believe in yourself.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.