Constantly uses swear words

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Constantly uses swear words

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      island nellie
      Participant

My ADHD/Autistic son constantly uses swear words. Can anyone help??

anomalocaris
      Participant

Does he get an allowance? If so, he pays a dollar every time he uses one of those words. Keep a tally and at the end of the week he gets what’s left of his allowance. Don’t act shocked by his language, or make a big deal over it. — that’s likely exactly what he’s looking for. Just record it and calmly let him know you’re recording it. Expect him to test you with tantrums the first time he sees that you’re following through on the consequences. Remind him that how he spends his allowance is entirely up to him, and he chose to spend it on swearing. If he doesn’t get a rise out of you and all it gets him is lost allowance, he’ll get tired of it pretty quickly. Rewarding him with an emotional reaction will perpetuate the problem.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This is often due to the impulsivity of ADHD. It can sometimes be oppositional behavior.

Here’s how one parent deals with it:

“My Son Can’t Help It — So I Don’t Punish Him”

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

sdkotyarova
      Participant

Have you ever heard of Asperger Experts.com? They seem to have a lot of practical ideas. You can get a lot information for free and youtube videos, facebook, and purchase specific courses and books, as well as join in a online support group.
      Their general guideline is to keep asking questions; a or b; until you get to the root problem. When does he cuss? You can say “I’ve noticed you’ve been cussing when …… happens”. Do you think you’re mad or upset when that happens? What makes you upset then? is it a or b? etc
      I’m just knew to this information myself, but it seems like it will be helpful.
      stephanie

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.