Constantly Exhausted.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Constantly Exhausted.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kacostello 9 months ago.

• Author

WillNiels
    Participant

I’m gonna post here in the hopes that someone else has experienced something similar and has some idea of what to do.

So first a little about me. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in elementary school, and I was prescribed Concerta to treat it. I took it for years, and it really seemed to help, but when I got to college, I decided to stop taking it so I wouldn’t be so dependent on it (and also because I got splitting headaches, motion sickness and completely stopped eating at times). While I originally thought I was getting by fine, I noticed that I had to take daily naps between classes and struggled a little to get homework done. I ended up taking a pill here and there for really important assignments or finals. I managed to graduate in four years, but I’ve been having a hard time getting a good job. I’m 24 now and I’m still making $11/hr and live with my parents despite having a four year degree.

So jumping to the point, I’m very tired, almost all the time, it’s like there’s a constant fog. I can’t tell if this is a side effect of having taken Concerta all those years or a problem related to my ADD or something else. I’ve been trying to “fix” my tiredness by trying different sleeping patterns and eating different foods. But the end result is basically the same, I’m super tired all the time and I’m unmotivated to go out and do things. I don’t want to go back to taking Concerta, but I also don’t want to keep living in my parents house working a shitty job. I know I need to apply to jobs and go to interviews, but I’m tired of battling social anxiety and constantly forcing myself to concentrate.

Also another thing, my memory is complete garbage, which makes it really difficult to come up with examples for those “tell me about a time when you…” questions. I feel like I’ve wasted my degree because I can barely remember anything I learned and now I feel I’m going to have to re-teach myself a bunch of stuff before I can pass an interview.

If anyone knows anything, I’d be super grateful. This is very frustrating, I just want to be able to think clearly again.

hananhelu
    Participant

I’m just like you I stop taking adderall, and I am always tired, sleepy, not in the mood for anything. Due to the constant feeling of being exhausted. I could barely sit two hours and then I get so sleepy like I haven’t slept for day’s. It’s so hard now since I am one semester from earning my bachelor’s degree. With exams, project’s and a family to take care of.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Sounds like ADHD fatigue:

ADHD Fatigue Is a Real (Exhausting) Thing

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

cynzav.79
    Participant

I agree with Penny. It sounds like ADHD Fatigue. I wasn’t diagnosed until a few months ago and I’m 25. I originally began my journey searching for reasons as to why I was always so exhausted. They thought it was my thyroids but my health turned out to be in perfect condition and upon further exploration of things that could be effecting me, came the diagnosis of ADHD which explained my exhaustion and TONS of other things about me.
    Not sure if you’ll relate but I found out that my exhaustion was due to two ADHD related things.
    1. was the fact that I am a crazy sleeper and wake up about 2-4 times a night on average so even though I think I’ve slept a full night, my body was tossing and turning and my brain didn’t get the continuous deep sleep it needed to deem it a “restful” sleep.
    The second thing that contributed to my fatigue was a lack of stimulation. I thought that something was very wrong with me when I couldn’t keep my eyes open or my head up during work meetings/at my desk/etc. but it turns out that (in simple terms) I was just incredibly bored/disinterested/under stimulated.
    I was constantly exhausted like this for about 5 years. My psychiatrist and I suspect that the reason I did not begin to have problems with fatigue until these past few years was because up until about 5 years ago I was a VERY active individual. I lifted weights every other day and ran for about 45 mins to an hour EVERY day AND had a very active job. Some research has shown that people with ADHD who lead very active lives are able to by pass using medication because working out supplements the dopamine that we can’t produce enough of on our own that we would normally need from medication. Unfortunately, the life I lead now involves a full-time government job while simultaneously working on getting my Masters Degree which means that trying to go for an hour long run every day plus lifting weights every other day hardly fits into my schedule. What has helped me to overcome the fatigue (and lots of other ADHD related problems) is medication. So there are a couple of options I would suggest trying from my experiences.
    1. Try incorporating some sort of physical activity or workout for an hour each day
    OR
    2. see a doctor about getting on some medication.
    Like I said, I don’t know how much of my situation you might be able to relate to but I hope that my experiences give you some insight into some possible options that might help you.
    -Cynthia

kacostello
    Participant

I have just started with my ADHD diagnosis.
    My 15 yr old son was recently diagnosed.
    This led to me asking questions about my self. Sadly I have always thought I was lazy.
    I am 55 years old and have been tired all my life.
    I live in Australia and have to be assessed by a psychiatrist to obtain medication.
    so it seems to me that your tiredness is from your ADHD rather than from taking the medication for years.
    Thanks for the information about exercise. That really explains why I have always been able to do hard physical work and stay awake
    but work sitting and studying etc makes me sleepy even when it is interesting.

Kelly

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.