Confused about the ADHD brain

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Confused about the ADHD brain

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      whisperingwings
      Participant

I read so many articles regarding the positive traits of ADHD including being great problem solvers, having high level of creativity and energy, being empathetic and passionate.

At the same time, I am also reading about how our brains are smaller with jammed networks, many parts are not working efficiently, lowered level of certain neurotransmitters and other deficits.

How can we explain all the positiveness coming from all these negative scientific evidence?

It makes me depressed when I read some of the science literature. I feel we are “less” (especially the frontal lobe part) even though we know in our hearts that we are not.

A lot of great people in history have ADHD so how can we say this about their brains? How can they change society for the better and have so many wonderful inventions and art if their brains are scientifically shown to be a disorder?

mia_green_eyes
      Participant

That’s why I (kinda jokingly) started a post a few days ago (that no one answered) suggesting ADD be renamed “Attentional Diversity Dynamic” lol. To me that says … not neurotypical but recognizing different ways that different brains are (currently) “wired”. Who wants to be neurotypical anyway. I thought about the name because my friend gets upset when I call myself attention “deficient”. So I started thinking, well maybe the name does affect how I look at myself.
      Re the ADD / ADHD brain possibly being smaller … I think that is just the one part of the brain ? So maybe other parts of the brain are larger to compensate is my guess (which could be where the “gifts” come from) ? Also my understanding is that brains can change throughout our life-time as we learn & change habits etc (neuroplasticity). I am no expert here.

ivry321
      Participant

I am no export either but without formal training on how to deal with the hyperactivity of our brain dealing with such a mind, it becomes a deficit more than an asset. This is because if we are not interested in what’s being presented to us we will tune out much and find ways to entertain ourselves. Often that turns into disruption and interferes with our own productivity.

Once we learn what ADHD is, which is simply a learning disability due to an overactive mind and focus on taking that energy with a tad of discipline especially in the beginning, we can turn this whole deal into an asset.

My 2 cents worth…

Dave

Jesudota
      Participant

Before I knew about ADHD, I knew my mind moved faster than it should so I tried to slow it down but I couldn’t. The brain is always finding something interesting to engage itself with

quietlylost
      Participant

Positives and negatives don’t cancel each other out. Life isn’t a zero sum game, and a person with ADHD isn’t just a list of traits.

Knowing what we’re good at is especially important in how we begin to shape our lives and our relationships in a way to help us be successful. Non-ADHD people do this too by finding their talents, their skills, their interests, and activities that they can tolerate or enjoy. For those of us with ADHD, we just have to know that there are certain things our brains are really good at and then certain things that they aren’t. For example, we might be really good at handling crisis in jobs like the medical profession or a crazy office environment, but we might suck at doing things like managing spreadsheets or keeping our bathroom clean. It’s not an all or nothing thing. We’re good at some things, we’re not good at others.

There are lots of reasons that factor into that. I don’t think it’s super necessary to understand the neurobiology of which neurotransmitters work in which ways, or which parts of the brain light up on an fMRI. I think it’s more important to know what works for you and to understand the basic tenets of care. For example, ADHD brains are underaroused, so that’s why stimulant medications work and why boring activities are boring. I’d really suggest any of the resources from Dr. Ned Hallowell or Dr. William Dodson for more information.

All in all, it’s okay to feel good about having ADHD and it’s also okay to feel bad about it. It’s important that you understand what your specific needs are, what your goals are, and what treatment or support you need to get there. Most of all, you are more than just your ADHD. You are a person, whole and wonderful, and you can be so many amazing and wonderful things because you already are. 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.