Concerta vs Vyvanse

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 1 month ago.

• Author

ajsd
    Participant

I am trying to figure out a good combo of medication for my 10 yo son ..He has ADHD/ODD and is on Concerta 36mg and Busiprone…Its helping but he is still having lots of problems in school with not paying attention…refusing to do work …and anger issues often but at home only..I am wondering if the stimulant is not the way to go anymore…
    Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Medication is just one tool to help with ADHD symptoms, it doesn’t erase them completely. Ask his teacher for specifics about the time of day and the environment when he’s struggling the most with attention. And don’t look at not getting homework done as “refusal.” Instead, drill down and determine why he’s not getting it done. Is it overwhelming? Does he not understand what to do or how to do it? Is homework time when his meds are wearing off and affecting mood? Etc…

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with an Explosive Child

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.