Concerta Generic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dj2kids 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

egalew
    Participant

I know this has been discussed before but would like some clarity.

A month ago switched insurances and my daughter was given generic Concerta by Trigen versus brand, which she had been taken for sometime.

Doctor insists they’re relatively the same. I however have noticed a huge difference. She’s eating me out of house and kitchen, and seems much less attentive and impulsive. Experience and thoughts?

Can I insist the doctor write a subscription for brand?

She was on Vyvanse at one time and that seemed to work.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

They are “relatively” the same, but not exactly the same. The generics (except Actavis/Jansen) don’t have the same time-release mechanism that makes Concerta unique. Most people find they are exponentially less effective than the brand or the approved generic that’s the same.

You say she was on Vyvanse and that was working well. Why did you switch?

Vyvanse is an amphetamine and Concerta is a methylphenidate. Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. That means she likely needs to be on an amphetamine for the best results.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Talk with the prescribing doctor about this and see what changes you can make (Although I’m disturbed that the doctor didn’t know the huge uproar about Concerta generics and that they aren’t the same and are sub-par).

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

egalew
    Participant

The switch from Vyvanse to Concerta was an insurance issue.

The doctor is actually a Nurse Practitioner. November 1 my insurance expired and we had to go on the exhcange. Being on shrink wasn’t covered, the practice gave use a nurse practitioner, though I’m not happy with it and am trying to find a pediatric psychiatrist. She clearly has no insight into a child with ADHD and at our her first appointment said to me “she looks like a fine girl.” (For the record, my daughter has a file a mile high, at one point was impulsively stealing credit cards and all kinds of things. She also has learning issues and we go to a special school for that.)

I can already tell this nurse is going to be problematic for other issues. As I said, I’m looking and frutrated.

Question…… Does Vyvanse have a genetic? If so, are there issues with the Generic of Vyvanse?

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Vyvanse does not have a generic and it doesn’t look like that’s even a possibility until 2023. There are some amphetamine-based stimulants that do have a generic, Adderall for sure.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

dj2kids
    Participant

My son did extremely well on Concerta…insurance changed and we ended up with the generic. It is NOT the same and did not work for him at all. His Dr wrote a script for the REAL Concerta with the note of medical necessity. Insurance did not balk at that. Maybe you could try that route?
    Good Luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.