Concerned about Concerta, teen girl, new med

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Concerned about Concerta, teen girl, new med

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mandalamom
      Participant

Hi, my 15-yr-old daughter is starting Concerta tomorrow, at 16 mg. She had been on Adderall since age 7-8 and was doing well, but stopped taking it because we live in a state where methamphetamine abuse is a huge problem and she’s seen the posters, heard all the ads, and refused to take it any longer. After 3 months with no meds, and many problems, she says she feels hopeful about starting a new med. However, I’m worried about the ritalin connection because an ex-husband had horrible problems with it (we divorced over his out of control behavior), and I have also heard the war stories from my friends’ kids struggling with it. The doctor is awesome, we have a 14-year relationship, but she didn’t mention that hallucinations can be a side effect. I’d google it further, but Dr Google is scary, and I’d rather hear from actual people. Anyone with kids on Concerta that can share your experience? Thanks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Everyone has a completely different reaction to stimulant medications. My son has a horror story for Adderall, but did well on Concerta for many years. It comes down to genetics, metabolism, and individual neurochemical needs. I would, however, be concerned about the fact that most people do well on one type of ADHD stimulant or the other, but not both. If she did really well on an amphetamine-based stimulant, she may not respond to methylphenidate. Of course, you don’t know until you try.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.