College issues

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Neongreen
      Participant

I’m a 34 year old female who was diagnosed with ADD when I was 7, yet it has taken me decades to come to terms with my diagnosis and condition. Unfortunately, I waited until my final year of university to get my life under control. My senior year is pushing me to my limits with the course load on top of internships (I’m getting a bachelor’s in social work).

On top of the overwhelming load, one of my professors literally up and left in the middle of the semester. She resigned at midterm. She was over 2 of the courses I’m taking this semester, and her departure has thrown me into a tailspin. I am having to get used to 2 new professors. The icing on the cake is that the new professors have had to explain things to the class because the previous professor gave us an incredible amount of incorrect information as well as giving us A’s and B’s on assignments that we did incorrectly. This makes me question every grade I’ve ever gotten in any of her courses.

This is long winded and I’m sorry for that but I just needed to get this out of my system. I am frustrated, overwhelmed, sad, angry, stupid, foolish…
      I don’t know where to go from here.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

None of this is your fault. It’s an unfortunate circumstance, but you will get past it.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

shine2019
      Participant

You have made it this far, you can keep going, the finish line is really close!

I am dealing with a new diagnosis, I am 32 years old and up to this point have never been able to finish more than two semesters of college, despite multiple attempts. I am in such a mess now and will have to jump through unbelievable hoops to fix it.

I GIVE YOU SO MUCH CREDIT for getting this far and realizing it’s important enough to you to keep going despite hardship. It is incredibly difficult when a routine or a comfort zone changes, and I can’t imagine the shock of your instructor changing mid semester. But you should remember that it was you who made it through the years you’ve already accomplished, not the professor. And you say you waited until senior year to get your life under control. That means you did all the years with your life out of control. Now that it IS in control, and you’re about to graduate, imagine what a dynamo you’re going to be in your new field!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.