College Crap Lecture Hall

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Ella C
    Participant

Hello! So I am a 19 year old inattentive type add college student. I was diagnosed late in life at 16 (I am also “gifted” so I was able to cope for a while without diagnosis. I’m not trying to brag just giving some backround).

So I am in college and I do have extended time accommodations. I used them last semester. But my parents keep trying to talk me out of using them now saying I don’t need them and that it’s not worth it. I know that I’m my own person but I am so torn.

I am in a challenging genetics class and the exams are 50 minutes and quite complex. The main problem for me though is the crappy lecture hall we take them in. It’s like taking an exam on an airplane. And I’m always last to finish. I sit on the end cause I’m left handed and need the left handed “desk”. So when other people finish I have to stop what I’m doing and stand up as they walk by.

I have told my parents I want to use my accommodations for this reason but they keep trying to talk me out of it. Also a lot of my friends are in this class and I haven’t told them I have aDD and I don’t want them to know. Also my school makes us walk to the front of the lecture hall to give the prof the accommodations slip. So basically everyone would know if I decided to use them.

Any advice/ encouragment would be greatly appriciated 😅

deb91
    Participant

Use your accommodations. It sounds like you feel you need to, especially in this one class. Having ADD is nothing to be ashamed of and you can’t worry about what others think, your friends or your parents. There is a reason that just 5 percent of college students with ADHD will graduate, versus 41 percent of their nondisabled peers. It has nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with the weak executive function skills, and sometimes processing speed issues, that are part of ADHD. My husband who has ADHD (also with gifted IQ) nearly did not complete college until he got help with accommodations from the Disability Support office. Follow your instincts. You know better than anyone what you need to succeed

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Only you know what it’s like functioning with the brain you have. You’re an adult and it’s up to you. Use them if you need them. It doesn’t hurt a thing, but not using them could negatively impact your success.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Use them.
    See your professor during office hours and ask for some brainstorming on your issues.
    If this doesn’t work, talk to someone in support services.

This does double benefit.
    #1 – It gets you the help you if a way that you may have not thought of asking.
    #2 – It communicates that you are interested in working towards a solution which is a big deal, especially in a large class.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.