Colleague with possible ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Colleague with possible ADHD

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nanwilchi@gmail.com 1 day, 8 hours ago.

• Author

KitanasFan
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD this year and of course I’ve been reading and finding out about it as much as I can.

I’ve told people I work with that I have ADHD, but I think someone else I work with also has it. I obviously wouldn’t want to diagnose someone else, but has anyone else noticed that now you know about ADHD that you can see similarities in others? The person I work with is constantly talking, she is never still, she interrupts all the time, in fact you can’t say one sentence to her without her interrupting you, and if she doesn’t interrupt it’s because she’s actually distracted with something else, she will then interrupt you to tell you she’s listening. The other day she mentioned about songs getting stuck in her head constantly on repeat, that she gets anxiety and she was bought something to fidget with when she’s sat down as it helps her concentrate. Sometimes I don’t understand stories she’s telling me as she starts talking as if I know the people she’s talking about, and also I don’t always get the point she’s trying to make. Ive also noticed how much she struggles with following tasks at work. Basically I can see a lot of myself in her, except I’ve learnt to manage interrupting and also my story telling.

The problem is I’m finding it really hard to work with her. I absolutely love her as a person, she is one of the kindest, sweetest people I know, but I’m finding working with her a strain. I’m wondering whether this has to do with what I’m seeing about her. It feels almost as if her style of working and how she has to do things is actually almost triggering me and I’m having to work much harder at trying to keep under control and less stressed. I think her way of stressing and flapping about certain tasks makes my ADHD worse.

Unfortunately because we work in a very small team and she is a supervisor there is no avoiding working with her, sometimes there are times when it’s just us together. I end up feeling very frustrated after my shift and need time to clear my head.

I’m not sure I’ve worked closely with other people with ADHD and was wondering whether anyone else had, and how you felt you coped? I’m shortly going to be attending a mindfulness group for others with ADHD, so it will be interesting to be in a room full of others who also have it.

LoriR
    Participant

Can you say something like, “Sorry, my brain can’t handle more than one thing at once. Can you let me finish this task first? Then I’d love to talk to you about [whatever].” Or, when she interrupts, “Can I just finish my point first? I don’t want to leave out anything important.”

Think about what bothers you most and how you might handle it. Write down possible responses and rehearse them. It might seem a bit artificial, but a simple “I’m sorry, I can’t” can help prevent your being sidetracked into unproductive conversations.

For some things, such as her ramblings about people you don’t even know, you can listen politely for a few seconds, say “Wow, that sounds weird/unfair/whatever,” then break eye contact and get back to work.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  LoriR.

Sally B Good
    Participant

possible ADHD
    Home › Welcome to the ADDitude Forums › For Adults › Relationships › Colleague with possible ADHD
    pm#121986

Hi everyone,
    Hi, are these the characteristics of ADHD? “The person is constantly talking, she is never still, she interrupts all the time, in fact you can’t say one sentence to her without her interrupting you, and if she doesn’t interrupt it’s because she’s actually distracted with something else, she will then interrupt you to tell you she’s listening. … songs getting stuck in her head constantly on repeat, that she gets anxiety and she bought something to fidget to concentrate. Sometimes I don’t understand stories she’s telling me as she starts talking as if I know the people she’s talking about, and also I don’t always get the point she’s trying to make. … she struggles with following tasks at work. … interrupting and story telling.”

nanwilchi@gmail.com
    Participant

It may help to remember that your colleague didn’t suddenly change, you suddenly noticed, and now know that she can improve. I have gone through a similar cycle a few times, and remind myself that if I’m thinking like a hammer, all I will see are nails.

You mentioned this is a small team. Is it also a small company? Is there someone you can get advice from to minimize your interactions? If you have a HR person, talk to him or her about your supervisor’s work practices and how they are impacting you. Communication classes are highly recommended for all managers in my company.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.