Child’s fear and anxiety

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Child’s fear and anxiety

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      minas mom
      Participant

So my 7 year daughter has a very hard time with new things. Appointments new activities etc. it seems like everytime I tell her we have to go to an appointment it’s a complete melt down. For example this morning I dropped her off at my moms and she has a physical therapy Evaluation. She immediately got upset ran away and started throwing a fit. Yesterday I had a video call intake for big brother big sisters. The whole time it was a meltdown, her getting to grab the phone away screaming yelling. I don’t know how to help my daughter. She is 7. Instead of listening to me everything is automatically running away or getting angry and upset. Help me pleaae

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like she’s dysregulated and doesn’t yet have the skills or manage that or to manage not knowing what to expect. Start talking to her a couple days in advance of something new. Explain what it’s like there, who she’ll meet, what she’ll see, what she’ll do.

The key to resolving behavior challenges is determining what is trigger them and working on the trigger.

Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with the Explosive Child

Your Child’s ADHD Is an Iceberg

Occupational Therapy can help a great deal with regulation strategies and building tolerance too.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.