Child doesn’t take medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Child doesn’t take medication

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

kellyann
    Participant

Hello,

I am in the process of finding the right doctor to prescribe medication for my 8 year old daughter. She has ADHD inattentive and possibly ODD. She is stubborn about medication and often (99% of the time) refuses to take it. I’m afraid that after all this work to get the right doctor, diagnosis and treatment plan, we’ll be dead in the water because she won’t take the meds.

Has anyone dealt with this? How?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It’s a common problem with teens, to refuse ADHD medication, but, of course, it happens at other ages too. You might find the advice in this article useful for your situation, even though it’s written for teens:

“I’m Sick of Taking Meds!”

It’s much better to have collaborative discussions with her about why medication is useful and why she doesn’t want to take it, versus trying to force her to take it. The first will be much more well received.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.