Child Attending Their Own IEP

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Child Attending Their Own IEP

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Acro 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

BRLK
    Participant

My son has just started middle school. We will be having his first IEP meeting next week and his team thinks it’s time for him to join the discussion. I don’t disagree, but in the past he has not attended his IEP meetings. He also does not like to be talked about. I’m looking for any tips, advice, insight on prepping him to become part of the conversation and teaching him how to advocate for himself.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It’s super important for him to learn to self-advocate, especially if he’s considering college one day. So, I’m glad his school is supporting that. What we did in middle school was only call my son in to review any changes we made to his accommodations, positive discussion, and asking him what he felt he needed to help with school. He was not in the room for discussions about where he was struggling, because he was so sensitive to that and because I often had to fight tooth and nail.

He attended his entire high school transition meeting in May and will attend IEP meetings in high school. At this age, he has to start speaking up for himself, and owning his strengths and weaknesses.

Putting Kids in Charge of Their Learning Needs

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

deb91
    Participant

My son attended his 504 Plan meeting in middle school last year. Overall, it was a very positive experience. He was quiet for the most part, this being the first meeting he attended, but I think it helped him to realize that his teachers really did want to help him when he struggled. He was more willing to ask questions and let them know when he was having problems after that meeting.

Acro
    Participant

My daughter, now 10, has attended her last two 504 meetings. She was able to give her opinion on what she feels works and what doesn’t work for her accommodations. She mostly just read quietly to herself, but felt valued in being involved. I think as long as it’s a review and not the first meeting, it’s good for children, who are willing and able to be involved. Every child is different, as we know, and as long as you prepare him for what happens at the meetings , let him know he’s free to excuse himself if he becomes uncomfortable, or to speak up if he agrees or disagrees with what is being discussed, he’ll welcome the the involvement. You may want to bring something else for him to do if he needs a fidget or to draw or read to calm him. I hope this is helpful and wish you all he best in coming to your decision.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.