September 7, 2018 at 8:52 am #98387AmyamyParticipant
I want to celebrate how brilliant and creative we often are as folks with ADD.
I thought we could chat about our favorite strategies for solving both the common and uncommon solutions we have for problems we face in everyday life.
I have 3. Two everyday one so far out of the box I don’t know that a box has been invented for it yet.
1. Pocket basket- small basket in my bedroom or near the front door of the house where I drop all of my pocket goodies for the day. Gum, tissues, headphones, wallet, spare change, all waiting to be put back in my pockets the next day. Once a week clear the basket of receipts, gum wrappers broken bits of whatever, and I almost never lose the most important things.
2. Keys hanging on the inside of the door. – like pocket basket, but for keys. Keeping the ring hung from the inside of the door knob does 2 things, I can find them fast, and I have a tactile reminder to grab them before I step out the door, e, almost eliminating my proclivity to lock myself out of the house.
3. Microwave in a suitcase- i’m Moving cross country and most of my belongings are not making the trip. I am blind, cannot drive and have to find ways of moving stuff that doesn’t require a car. A coworker needs a microwave. I have a microwave that needs to disappear. I can’t afford to spend on LYFT toDay.
Ergo, the most logical solution I find is drag microwave into work on bus. Heavy and awkward. But I then realize that my giant roller bag is just big enough to contain the microwave, and genius or insanity, (you can be the judge) causes me to put the plan into action. It was successful btw. The microwave still functions, and even the plate survived.
So yes please tell me what your creative solutions are. We should celebrate our unique contributions to the world, and “borrow” the best ideas from one another!
September 7, 2018 at 5:38 pm #98452LynnaParticipant
I love your ingenuity with the suitcase.
1. Carabiner clip and purses that the straps attached with rings. I haven’t lost my keys in years.
2. Phone cameras are great. Every class syllabus I would get at the beginning of the year I snap a pic. Then I can pull it up and zoom in to see weekly assignments. Works for other documents too.
3. If you break your phone screen (because you got distracted and left on roof of the car, perhaps?) and it can’t be fix immediately then put it in a zip lock bag. You can still use the touchscreen without cutting your fingers to shreds.
4. If you need pick out a new outfit for work each day then make up a “uniform”. All I ware are legging, dresses and sweaters in assorted colors and nothing that needs ironing. Makes mornings easier and it is comfortable AF.
5. Here is a creative one: I work as IT support for restaurants and I take calls from all levels of technically skill. One time a very polite man who seemed like English was his second language. We had trouble communicating over the phone so I started texting him but he did know the piece of equipment I was telling him about. I asked if had Wi-Fi and a video chat app. Long story short we got 4 phones involved, one for each of us to text on and one for video chat, and final found equipment need to fix the issue after I got a tour of the restaurant’s office.
September 7, 2018 at 8:10 pm #98460AmyamyParticipant
Fantastic. I take a different spin on the clothing, but it’s similar, several cardigans, interesting printed blouses and slacks that are largely mix and match cause I get bored easily and this way I feel like I have a much bigger wardrobe than I actually do.
Also do work in tech, the phone solution definately sounds like a stunt I would or have pulled. Great idea really! Thanks for sharing. I foresee stealing the caribeaner plan too.
October 2, 2018 at 3:02 pm #100691strwbryParticipant
I love the pocket basket idea! I’m stealing that one for my husband 🙂
I have different colorful bags. I have a bright blue purse that I keep all of my work stuff in and a floral backpack for all of my school stuff. ALL of my school stuff stays either in the bag or in my study. Then, I just grab my wallet, phone, and whichever bag I need for the day, knowing I have all my stuff where I need it.
Duplicates. I have a water bottle for each activity- one for home, one for work, one for school. I have a full set of flair pens, highlighters, pencils, and postits on my desk and in my school bag. I also keep protein bars, mints, and fidget toys in each bag. I try to be prepared for anything. 🙂
You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login