Can't find the right job

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Can't find the right job

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 6 months ago.

• Author

I am so frustrated. I have tried different careers and jobs and just can’t seem to find one I can stick with. My resume is huge because I have tried so many jobs and companies… I have a degree in Education, and right now I am substitute teaching to pass the time (sort of) while I get my certification in my current state of residence. I’ve been doing it for a month and I feel burned out already and like teaching is not something I want to get back into. I’ve tried health care, nursing school, cna work… I’m at a loss.

Big question: how does one with ADHD inattentive find an occupation they can stick with?!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

We all need a job that plays to our strengths and avoids areas of weakness as much as possible. That can be a bit more challenging for those with ADHD, though. The following articles offer some guidance on finding the right career path when you have ADHD:

16 Good Jobs for the Easily Bored and Consistently Creative

How to Align Your Career with Your Passions

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

arty.cajun
      Participant

ADHDmomma- Can you provide a link for jobs for ADHD women in their 50’s whose husbands left them after 30 years? LOL. Not easy at this age to start over in order to find a job one might love. The divorce left me behind the eight ball as it is. Present job is pretty good but not paying enough. Peace of mind pretty good but losing my active skills in case we need to relocate. Any Canadians on here? I have French Canadian root and the skills haven’t left me just yet.

Becca
    Participant

I can really relate to this post. I have had so many jobs and changing them within 12-18 months due to boredom or not getting along with coworkers.

The one job that I loved and kept going back to was being a flight attendant (over a span of 31 years). When I was diagnosed this month with ADHD the neuropsychologist stated it was the perfect job for me because it was never routine, always moving and not having to work with the same people all the time.

I recently retired from flying and now have a position within a local hospital that allows me to “float” to different clinics, departments and a variety of hours. I would never be able to keep this job if I was in one place. Variety keeps me from getting bored and helps me with relationships with my coworkers.

I always thought I was mentally ill and just couldn’t keep a job and get along with people. Now, I know why I a, the way I am. I am working on focusing on my strengths and just started Ritalin.i look forward to this journey…I wish it would have started years ago.

rpeustace
    Participant

I am 27 years old, and currently struggling to figure out what path I want to/would excel at. I am currently in the healthcare industry, and working in research. I am often in a small space with no windows, and only two people to talk to. While, the job does not require a lot of interpersonal contact, it’s something that I miss from my other jobs. Recently it came to light, that basic data entry I did was done incorrectly. When looking at the errors I had done, they didn’t make sense. It was like I was on a different planet when performing the task. I really wanted to excel into academia, but I am finding that my inability to pay attention to details and perform a nuanced tasks is extremely difficult to manage. I somehow was able to finish my Masters program, and am now in a position that I do not enjoy at all. While I am scouring the web for new jobs, and leveraging all of my connections to find something – I am desperately trying to identify what I would be good at.

forgues
      Participant

I am a PhD student with ADHD Inattentive who should have jumped ship long ago. Here is what I will say: You can do the research (you absolutely can!), but it would be best if you could ALSO do something else (and if you want to use your research skills, something maybe in healthcare where you can find a REASON to motivate the research). The same, quiet routine is likely to not work out, and if you try to force it, you may burn bridges along the way (my current issue). A job that allows you to move and change environments frequently, working with different people, would likely be best. There are lots of options, so don’t despair. Teaching? Clinician (then you could also use your research skills!)? Physical Trainer? Maybe implementation of IT technology at businesses if you don’t mind traveling? Financial adviser? Sales (but ONLY if you are really interested in and believe in the product)?

I have been “trying” many of these careers myself. There is also some research that suggests ADHD people work better for themselves – if you could find a cause that drives you, that may also be another solution. Personally, in the immediate term, I’m looking for something with lots of flexibility (read: no one is breathing down my neck to make sure I’m doing my work, because honestly, that just makes me less likely to do it) that does not require writing reports. Then, I’m looking to become a clinician I think (once I have money saved for tuition); I’ll either become a NP, PA, or physician quite likely. Your career plan should take into account your desire for family, etc, as well.

dish
    Participant

I was given a fantastic book to help me find the right career using my strengths and minimizing my weaknesses. It’s the best book I’ve found to help anyone especially us with ADD/ADHD. It’s called DO WHAT YOU ARE by Tieger. The book uses Myers Briggs to help narrow down the career choices. It helped me understand why some jobs were not ever going to work for me and to find many jobs that compliment my ADD strengths! Finally some great and practical news! Good Luck!
    – “GRadditude”

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! I am sticking with my goal of getting a permanent teaching position, but just making sure it’s in something I really WANT to teach. I spent a month subbing for a PE teacher and it was the best fit of a job for me I’ve EVER had! I was exhausted, but I liked doing it. 🙂 I am also a writer and plan to keep writing along the way. Maybe one day I can overcome my ADD enough to actually finish a book.

humblepiesam
    Participant

Balkenator, way to go.

It’s very difficult to make decisions on what we don’t know. We say I want something different and then as we turn to go get it we are faced with the multitude of options and go…uhh….

I think your question is just as valid as any high-schooler, collegiate, or even military person looking to transition. This isn’t something ADHD specific, it’s just as troublesome to anyone who just doesn’t know what the options are, but even moreso, how they themselves are actually wired. If you’re a social extrovert looking to go into the trades, you may find it difficult because the trades are about accuracy and concentration, but you’re built and wired to have conversations and interact…may not go well.

For you, teaching definitely has many things that seem to play to your strengths, way to go on your decision based on what you know and that is that you want to teach! Best of luck with that move!

Patrick
    Participant

I just want to add that I am in a similar boat. I am 27 years old and trying to figure out what to do. The things that have helped is having a better idea of what I want and what I don’t want. I am not gonna do something I am not passionate about. I recently turned down a teaching position the Peace Corps because I did not want to be a teacher. So I am reapplying to a position that is more environmentally focused. But on a day to day basis I am still unsure what I do. I struggle to figure out how to get the skills that one needs to get the jobs that I want. Resumes are crazy. I want to work overseas in humanitarian development. Anyway I just wanted to say that I can relate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.