Can Concussion make ADHD Symptoms Worse

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Can Concussion make ADHD Symptoms Worse

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chezmo 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

vfriedman66
    Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult taking Strattera. In 2011, I fell and suffered my second concussion with short term memory loss for over 4 months.
    My ADHD symptoms got worse and my medicine regimen went from Strattera – Ritalin – Adderall.
    I still am having a lot of problems with focusing, memory problems, time management and losing things. Has anyone ever heard of this problem.vfriedman66@gmail.com

cfugate
    Participant

Simple answer: Yes. I’m currently dealing with this as well. I suffered a concussion/brain injury 2 years. I was told the attention /organizing/planning center of my brain was damaged. Mostly right brain with frontal lobe and some left brain damage. I’m also dealing with Sensory Integration Disorder as a result. They did Metronome Therapy which helped a lot but I need more therapy in order to get back to work.

vfriedman66
    Participant

Thank you so much for responding. I am sorry for injury. However, it is encouraging to hear that I am not crazy. I have had tests for memory loss but have periods where my memory comes and goes. I was hit on the left side with an incision also on the top of my head the second time. My first concussion, I was hit on my right partial area.
    I ended up losing my job because I went back to work too early.
    I couldn’t even remember my passwords and I was making errors on my work.
    I wish you well on your recovery. I pray that you complete your full treatments and make sure you feel comfortable before returning to work.

•••

chezmo
    Participant

You’re not crazy!! Concussion is a huge factor in Brain function as you have now discovered. Studies are really only just coming to light because of the NFL player studies. Traumatic Brain Injury can happen in the slightest of accidents. Dr. Daniel Amen has done a lot of work in the NHL study and has a ton of good information on concussion. Keep resting your eyes if you have frontal lobe injury and minimize time on computer because it slows healing. It takes a lot longer than you might think to heal. Our brains are the consistency of soft butter, so they can bruise very easily.

If you have the means, you can get a SPECT image done to see if any of the concussion has left permanent damage, or if the medication and rest will rehabilitate the areas affected. It shows areas of function or damage. At least then you can know what you are dealing with. Amen Clinics do these scans but possibly your Neurologist can order one as well.

Take care and heal.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.