can child improve with short acting ritalin but get worse with ritalin LA

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child can child improve with short acting ritalin but get worse with ritalin LA

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 6 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

bidzers
    Participant

Hi readers.
    My son (7)was recently diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive subtype). He is undergoing a trial month on medication which has comprised 1 week on 1/2 ritalin tablet (fast acting once a day)..1 week on a full tablet once a day….and 2 weeks on Long acting ritalin capsules. We noticed a good improvement the first week on half a tablet….and his teacher mentioned this was noticed all round. The 2nd week also seemed much improved for him. However since he started on LA ritalin capsules there is a marked increase in his anxiety and frustration. Paradoxically the Long acting tablet seems to bring about a quick improvement in mood for about 45 minutes….followed by a crash, and almost a depression. As this is a trial period I want to let the month run its course, but wondering can anyone explain why this might be so…or is it possible.

Lost247
    Participant

I experienced this with my son as well. He tried the short acting, worked well but not long enough to cover the school day. Went to ritalin la and it was horrible. Went back to short acting.

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

It could be the dose he is taking is too high and the dose needs to be scaled back.

bidzers
    Participant

Hi Lost 247 & Aaron lewis. Thank you very much indeed for your replies, greatly appreciated! The dose of ritalin LA (for this week- week 3) is 1 20mg capsule once in the day. Prior to this (week 2) he was on a full 10mg quick release tablet once a day , which were off by lunch, and week before that (week 1) he was on 1/2 10mg tablet once a day…which also wore off by lunch. However it seems that the quick acting tablet regulated concentration, mood and energy far more than Ritalin LA.. whilst it was effective … The difference is astounding…. He presents as a kid with a black cloud over his head for the majority of the day whilst on LA….very dark form indeed…..
    Lost 247 …so when you went back to ritalin quick release did things improve so? Does your son receive a 2nd dose of medicine in school then? Infact it seems that the half tablet daily (for my son) had the best results. I’m new to this but -in your experience the quick release had far better effects all round too?!

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

You might want to consider switching medications as well. What you need to do is listen to Dr. William Dobson’s webinars on the ADDitude ADHD Experts Podcast. There are a few in which he talks about ADHD medications.

Lost247
    Participant

We went back to the short acting but still had coverage problems. We ended up with a psychiatrist who got him on focalin. A methylphenidate that releases differently and has a slightly different formulation. That has been the best medicine so far but it comes with crashes as well.

bidzers
    Participant

Okay thanks again folks for replies. I live in Ireland. Unfortunately we dont have the same range of licenced medications here…as what are licenced in the states. I will definitely listen to those forums however. Navigating medication seems difficult. We are only on the 1st medicine however so I hope it’s worth sticking with it. If the short acting ritalin had had the same effect but for the whole day it would be great. I find it bizarre how ritalin LA can have such a vastly different result….I would have imagined that there were the same active ingredients in both forms of the tablet! Anyway we’ll continue to navigate this.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Navigating ADHD medication IS difficult. Here’s a primer on ADHD stimulant medication that may help you understand the medications and the trialing process a bit better:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.