Can anyone help with issues for a blank brain/’brain fog’

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Can anyone help with issues for a blank brain/’brain fog’

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      cranman
      Participant

I have been struggling with concentration and brain fog for probably around 7 years now. I was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago and since then have been given medication to help with the concentration which has helped massively. However it never really resolved the issue of having a blank mind and a real struggle to access memories.

I have exhausted all options in trying to find ways to help make this better and recently have found smoking weed has helped a lot. I was never a weed smoker before (only tried it a few times) and I used only small amounts but found (only with certain strains) that it made really good progress. I had a clear mind and was able to think a lot more concisely without the fog/cloudy mind which, in turn, helped me easily obtain my memories. The feeling I had was that I didn’t worry about what I was thinking, all my thoughts just easily flowed through and I was able to regurgitate memories perfectly naturally. I have not been using marijuana now as I know this cant be a permanent solution and have since had this blank mind return which has brought about a lot of anxiety which is now putting it in this negative loop cycle, where now all my attention is brought on the fact that I can’t think clearly. I know anxiety has a big part to play in this as well as the marijuana withdrawel on my current emotion but I definitely feel that anxiety isn’t the only factor that is causing this brain fog as there have been loads of times in the last few years where ive not felt anxious but still had this clogged brain.

I would really like to better understand the reasons why it helped clear my mind to try to find a way to deal with this issue. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with something like this before I would really really like to know what other solutions you came up with that might help. I have read all the jargon about eating healthy, vitamins etc which I have tried them all in the past unsuccessfully but for me, the fact that when I took this one substance it cleared my mind makes me feel like it is more to it than just those simple solutions.

That being said, even if someone just has some advice to help stop me constantly thinking about the memory issue/foggy mind it would be greatly appreciated.

scottishADHDer
      Participant

Hey

Many years ago before I even knew I had ADHD, I used to smoke cannabis. It did help me, but only for so long until it started having the opposite effect. I think the reason it helps is probably due to the sedative effect. The sedative effect of cannabis can help you relax allowing you to not get so overwhelmed. However, this is a double-edged sword, because those of us who have ADHD don’t always know when to stop, and can easily abuse it. If you’re abusing it, it means it isn’t helping your ADHD. I honestly don’t think it’s a solution for ADHD. If anything, pro-longed use can just make your ADHD worse, or at least halts any sort of real progress to getting better. Cannabis withdrawal gives you brain fog for a while. You build up a dependence, and so the brain needs it. You have to give it time.

In regards to my own cannabis usage, it completely turned on me, to the point smoking it trapped me inside my ADHD mind, where I just had all these racing thoughts which I couldn’t control. This led to panic attacks, depersonalization, etc. If you’re saying the meds help with concentration, but not with memory, then maybe the meds aren’t working so well? I found that when I was on methylphenidate, my concentration was there, but it was more of a state of alert, rather than relaxed and able to think clearly. When I moved to Elvanse UK name (Vyvanse) in the US, things improved 10 fold. My memory and focus improved. I started on 40mg almost 7 months ago, and it still works. Also, it is known that prolonged heavy use of cannabis does affect your memory. If you’re sedating yourself every day, your brain is slowing down, and so your cognitive abilities are always going to be impaired.

What helped me more was by not relying on medication to inspire me, or to act as my only savior for productivity. Yes, the medication does indeed help you with that boost to get you going. However, it should only get you a percentage of the way there, with you, yourself actively trying to improve.

I should also note, I have some issues with OCD, which is known to be a comorbid condition alongside ADHD. It sounds like you have a slight OCD issue. What you’re doing is obsessing over this lack of clarity, which in turn leads to more anxiety, which in turn leads to more obsession at attempting to gain clarity to alleviate the anxiety. It’s an infinite loop, which you clearly see yourself.

An ADHD medication brains’ best friend, in my opinion, is “exercise”. Eat the right food. Workout daily, and along with your medication, you will find it improves the efficacy and the clarity issue.

Good Luck

Do you have any sinus issues? I know this sounds not related, but if you have had several sinus infections in the past it may be. I had ‘brain fog’ that would not go away for years. I had, had several sinus infections over the years. Even during the times I didn’t think I was having any sinus issues, the brain fog was still there. I went see an ENT, we tried usual meds, etc… Still the same. The ENT noticed that the airways in my noise were pretty narrow. He did a cat scan and we found that because of the narrow airways, after each of the sinus infections, portions of the infection gook, wasn’t allowed to drain and slowly built up over time in my sinuses below my eyes. That gook was putting pressure on the inside of my head and on top of that the narrow airways depriving me of air. The cat scan showed all grey. After surgery last year to clear out the built up infection material and widen my airways the brain fog was gone. Hasn’t come back.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.