Calendar, date book, planner???

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Calendar, date book, planner???

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      dorothyavery1530
      Participant

Does anyone use a planner or date book they would recommend? I have tried Day Timer, Planner Pad, Pandaplanner, etc etc and I just can’t find one that fits my needs. Any recommendations out there? Do you all still use physical planners, or have you all gone online/digital? Thanks!

SRF
      Participant

A little of both. It’s easy for me to get more disorganized using more complex phone/pc apps.
      Calender and simple task list is in my phone. I still like a paper notebook or legal pad for random notes etc.

quietlylost
      Participant

I exclusively use a digital calendar. I use my Google calendar which I reference on my Smartphone through a widget and the calendar app. I set reminders, track appointments, color code certain commitments, etc. The hard part is being consistent about entering in the information. I like it because I can determine how often to receive reminders and I can also included notes about the appointment and the address or location. It’s a great way for me to keep track. But, it requires consistency.

My providers know that I’m in the habit of entering in appointments at the end of our sessions. I do still ask for physical cards as well as reminders since that helps me too to have it in my wallet as a backup. More for my anxiety than anything else.

MrObvious
      Participant

Bullet Journal. The thing about a calendar/planner is that it takes a long time to get used to using it. I’ve been trying for a few months and there are still days I don’t use it. I learned that change is hard for humans, and I think for us ADHD folk it’s harder. It’s like trying to turn a ship going at full speed in the water, very slow.

If you have a system you kind of like but put it down, pick it up again. Don’t think all or nothing but start small. Put lists down like “start the washer with sheets” or something small, instead of just laundry (as an example). Put down 3 things a day, even if you have more, and you will find yourself getting used to using it more to the point where you eventually are using it full time.

Reflection
      Participant

May I ask what your needs are? I personally use a paper calendar/diary for appointments, deadlines, locations, items to take with me, birthdays etc., and a Panda Planner to plan my week and day in more detail. Next to that I have a digital calendar to remind me of birthdays and the app todoist.

It’s a lot, but I’ve got a setup that works for me now. What’s important is that you find something that works for you and keep at it (it’s hard and I still slip up). Make whatever you choose to use the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see before going to bed etc. A bullet journal is highly customizable and If you identify your planner needs it may very well be the tool for you! Just don’t look on pinterest 🙂

Dr. Eric
      Participant

I have gone digital …
      Google calendar becasue it is what we do at work., like Asana for To-Do list.
      I use Evernote for lists because it syncs on all devices, but also leaves a local copy if you don’t have internet.

Nab
      Participant

I am only using a paper book, as writing things down really helps me structure and remember. I have tried TONS of different planners and have not really found anything that is suiting my needs. I love all the thoughtful, mindfulness, productive, etc… content of many planners but quickly realise that on a day to day basis this is overwhelming for me. So for now I have settled on 2 basic needs: having a one page with the days of the week for appointment, etc… and then the other page as a place to jot down to-do list. I used something equivalent to the moleskine weekly planner (https://us.moleskine.com/planners/weekly-planners/0102-2) last year, but this year I have more appointments and things to do, so I created my own template and I am using more of a bullet journal type, but with preset pages for the monthly and weekly (https://bulletjournal.com/pages/learn).

I have a separate perpetual calendar for birthdays, so I don’t need to write it down every year again….

Piratepug
      Participant

I have a whiteboard in my kitchen for everything I need to get done. I generally do a big weekly braindumo then add or remove as I think about them. I also have a notebook in my purse and use notes on my phone for anything I forget to add.

I also have a shared Google calendar with my husband. So that we can co-ordinate schedules/appointments.

Work same thing – whiteboard for my brain dump, notepad for when I am in meetings or I need to pick items to focus on.

weeksben607
      Participant

Personally, I use a combination of Google Calendar/Microsoft Outlook on either PC/smartphone, at work and in my personal life. (I find that these work for me, they may/may not work for you). I use the calendaring functions to keep track of appts/tasks/scheduling. Their contact functions allow me to keep an address book, I also have access to a tasklist and note taking functionality. For someone who has ADHD most of his life, they are a GODSEND. But regardless of what I use, you need to find what works best for you, and it likely will take time/effort. (It took me most of my time in middle school/high school to figure out what worked for me.

Lesilotte
      Participant

So here is another thought, and one that I use sometimes and like quite a lot.

I put all appointments Dr, dog groomer, etc into my phone calendar and set multiple reminders. The week in advance reminder is especially helpful if it’s an appt made six months in advance, like a dentist. Plans change and I know to cancel and the phone number comes right up with the reminder. Bam! Done!

But– There is a thing out there called a “Happy Planner.” Google it. They have many different, designs and layouts for the pages. There is always a monthly calendar and then usually a weekly spread between 2 pages.

Here’s where they are different: A Happy Planner has pages that can be added, subtracted or moved as needed.

Say a friend is coming to stay in two weeks. I make a to-do list, of what I need to do for that. Well, I can insert the list into my current weekly view and then take it out and move it to the next week. I get the satisfaction of seeing what I’ve already crossed off to keep me motivated, it’s right in my calendar where I can see it.

Then after the visit, I can remove the list, and stick it with other lists of stuff I need to do for reoccurring type events: packing lists for trips, or maybe use an old to do list as a jumping off point for a new to-do next time my friend comes. Maybe I can write on the old to-do that she really liked some kind of dessert or wine. Next time she comes I can revisit the old to-do list, I can remind myself to get it.

The other aspect of the Happy Planner –and can be a rabbit hole don’t get me wrong– is that you can decorate it. I know, weird. But there is an entire tribe of “planners” on YouTube who share their decorated pages. It is wild. There is washi tape (decorative tape) and stickers and colored pens and markers and utter madness. And yet, it keeps you going back to the planner (I can take months off though) I find the decorating part very relaxing and weirdly contenting.

Some people seem to get caught up in worrying that their decorating isn’t ‘good enough’ or that they are going to ‘mess it up.’

These are not my kind of worries. I don’t need a cohesive theme (candy canes! Shamrocks! Dinasouars!) to get on my ‘Happy’ horse. I just decorate and let my whims run free… flower sticker in the upper left corner, ’cause I feel like it? You betcha! Tape with purple dots on it right over there… Lovin’ it!

But if decorating seems like something that would create tension, you don’t have to do that. What the Happy Planner does give you is a colorful, flexible system that lets you add and subtract pages as you need them.

Hope this helps.

MrObvious
        Participant

So basically it is a prettier bullet journal?

Lesilotte
        Participant

I don’t think so. The bullet journaling is a technique, isn’t it? You decorate the pages or not as you choose and I think, although I could be wrong, is that the pages are blank. The HP has a regular calendar, but with various calendar layouts, hourly, weekly vertical, a ‘dashboard’ weekly layout that is different than those two, which is good for lists.

The HP company sells the stuff to decorate if you are into that, stickers and the decorative tape, etc. And yes, you can go to a weird place with all that. But the decorating, and making each week different helps my engagement. (I suppose you do this with bullet J too.)

The removable pages, and the insert pages they sell for lists and various planning tasks (you can get a hole punch that lets you punch your own pages and add them) or there are inexpensive print your own downloads from ETSY as well.

The one thing that is turning me off, is that lately the designs are a bit weird to me. Kind of this weird, forced, super charged, “We’re planning! We’re super HAPPY we’re PLANNING!!” and an uncomfortable, “Good girls are HAPPY, and kind!!!” sort of vibe that is strange to me. you can ignore it and use the system though. There is also a Evangelical Christian subtext that might be responsible for this. Just there in the background, kind of a low static that you can also ignore. Yet it pops up and some might find off-putting.

Hope this brings clarity. I looked at Bullet Journaling and it seemed too complicated, with all the numbering and doodling. I’m not a doodler.

purplefuzz
      Participant

I’ve tried making a bullet journal, bought everything, set it up for months in advance and then it was not used. I have a happy planner that I liked because it became my to do list daily, for each hour block. I got into the habit of using that. Then I managed to get a full time job so that became useless; now we are working remote so I’m back to well, which one now do I use? I recently got a weekly planner to use now and I think that will be my best bet with working full time. I use google calendar for dr appts because for a lot of those appointments, you can “add to calendar” and it’s all right there. I still write it out when I can. It’s just easier to use the google calendar on my phone because it is always with me when I travel. My work schedule doesn’t change; however, appointments can so it’s just easier to use my phone for appts. I also have a small pad of paper with my planner for daily to do’s. Anything I do not get to that day, I write on a new page. It does feel good to cross things off after doing them. It makes it appear smaller. I know I was all over the place and I’m sorry. Everyone is different so you may have to play around to see what works best for you. I was all for bullet journal in the beginning, and then I just got lazy with keeping up and wasted a lot of paper and stickers. I also use post-it notes for my appts in my planner in case something changes since the day blocks are small.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.