Bored Constantly; Selectively Attentive

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Bored Constantly; Selectively Attentive

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      NumbAllDay
      Participant

I always feel bored and uninterested in most things in life. Video games are like the only exception, but even those I sometimes struggle to stay entertained with. In classes, I want to fall asleep some days instead of paying attention because the material is too boring and not amusing to me in any way. I’m diagnosed with adhd both types of hyperactive and inattentive. I’ve always been this way since the age of around 7 or 8 years old. I was never really hyperactive until I hit around age 13, but that may have just been when people started to take notice. When I was in high school, I never acted out and always sat in my seat (however fidgeting like a madman at times). I’m now almost 23 and in college but didn’t start stimulants until age 21. I have often done excessive amounts of cardiovascular exercise to keep ADHD at bay and once went on an 8 mile walk for fun which probably sounds like crazy-talk for some individuals. I have found that once I am standing for a long enough period of time, I sort of get what I call the inerta effect, in that I don’t want to sit down then sometimes even until I’m in pain from standing so much.

It has been a lot of symptoms and sometimes I’ve struggled to relate to others with these because I’m pretty unique and often consider myself “my own breed.” Not many people seem to be as selectively focused as I am, yet can sort of go crazy with hyperactivity, but just that I HAVE an off-switch, it just is only during times when I’m expected to be sitting. It is hard to describe and may sound like I don’t have ADHD, but I have simply learned over the years of my life up to this point how to manage my symptoms, but they come out when there aren’t expectations placed upon me. I’ve tried to sort of set my own expectations to try and mimimc that, but it doesn’t work for me really at all.

caitlinw
      Participant

I relate to this so much:

It is hard to describe and may sound like I don’t have ADHD, but I have simply learned over the years of my life up to this point how to manage my symptoms, but they come out when there aren’t expectations placed upon me.

I’ve got inattentive ADHD, though sometimes I do get very fidgety, too. My son is 8, diagnosed with combined ADHD like you, and he feels bored all the time, too. His teacher offers flexible seating, but that still isn’t moving around.

I wish I could share solutions, but we haven’t figured it out either. We’ve tried fidgets and chair bands (that you can bounce your feet on) but they don’t help much. Just know you’re definitely not alone in this!

NumbAllDay
      Participant

Hey thanks for the reply, caitlin. I appreciate your words and ability to relate to me with respect to your son! It is very hard and never is something that I’ve been able to manage 100%. It is definitely a chronic medical condition and is only manageable for most people versus cureable however some have made claims they’ve cured theirs. I don’t believe it ever is cured, but simply is just a spectrum of severity from very bad to very mild.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.