Books or articles for my child to read?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Books or articles for my child to read?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      kblank
      Participant

Does anyone have recommendations of books or articles that my 11-year old son can read (or we can read together) to better educate him about his own condition and also resources that will speak to his experience? (Like stories from other kids who have ADHD, what they struggle with, how they overcame challenges, etc.)

He is newly-diagnosed w/ADHD (inattentive) & dysgraphia, so he & I & my husband are learning about it together. I do not have ADHD so, although I can explain to him facets of the condition that I am learning about (such as why he tends to do this or that, or why a certain negative thing keeps happening over and over again), and we can work on solutions together, I can’t relate personally to what he is feeling and experiencing as a kid w/ADHD. I don’t even always know what to ask to uncover things he might be feeling badly about that I don’t even see or know about. I feel badly already for the years gone by during which time I didn’t understand what was going on w/him and held him to a standard in certain areas that he was not capable of meeting. I want him to know that that was my fault & not his, and that there are other kids like him having the same experiences & struggles that he is having. I want him to know he’s a great kid, more than me just telling him so.

Are there forums for kids, a magazine for kids, or any books you would recommend?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s one:

Book Review: ‘Learning to Feel Good and Stay Cool’

I think what helps kids like ours even more is reading stories of kids they can relate too. Like the Lightning Thief series. And books like these:

10 Riveting Reads for Spirited Kids

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

kblank
      Participant

Thank you!! (BTW, I just finished today listening to all your podcasts – soooo helpful!!)

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

That’s awesome! So glad they were helpful to you. (I’m posting new episodes again starting next week.)

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

DonkeyLady
      Participant

“All Dogs have ADHD,” by Kathy Hoopman – a short picture book, but don’t let that fool you. I’m almost 60 years old and I love it. It does a great job of explaining how it feels to have ADHD… it describes my personality in a nutshell! 🙂

kblank
      Participant

Thank you! 🙂

staceyrenee
      Participant

My son loves the Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans. He reads the books and listens to the audio versions over and over again. They do not specifically discuss ADHD but the main character has Tourettes Syndrome, as well as the author who wrote the books for his son. The main character and his friends all have special powers that they use to save themselves and others, while having to overcome many challenges in their way.

Jacko Willink’s, The Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy Seal Way (there are two in this series so far) and his newest kids book, Mikie and the Dragon, are also great. Jacko is a retired Navy Seal who writes on leadership. His kids books teach kids to find their inner strength, to work hard no matter what challenges they face, and to be the best THEY (not others) can be.

strwbry
      Participant

I recently read Fish in a Tree. It’s about a girl who discovers she has dyslexia in 8th grade, but I totally related to it having grown up not knowing I had ADHD. Not exactly the same, but similar emotions and themes.

I’ve also heard about the Joey Pigza series about a funny, determined, hyperactive boy with ADHD. It’s on my to read list. https://www.amazon.com/Joey-Pigza-Swallowed-Jack-Gantos/dp/1250061687/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1543303648&sr=1-1&keywords=joey+pigza

eryn.vanacker
      Participant

The Joey Pigza series by Jack Gantos are great! The main character has ADHD. Read this with my 4th-6th grade special ed class and it prompted lots of great discussions about the struggles of navigating school, home life and social life as an adolescent with ADHD.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.