Books for family or partner by author?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Books for family or partner by author?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Deep.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      kjanotka
      Participant

Does the author have any literature for family members and partners? I’ve been treated for ADD for about 3 years, with limited success due to lack of organization. :/ It is hard for my husband and adult children to understand ..I just started listening to ‘ADD-Friendly ways to organize your life’ and wish their was a companion book for the non affected…

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Driven to Distraction is a good read for neurotyicals. You Mean I’m not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid is another good one. Oh, and Melissa Orlov’s Married to ADHD.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Deep
      Participant

Driven to Distraction, The ADHD Effect on Marriage, and You Mean I’m not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid are excellent books for people with ADHD to recognize themselves in. Written in layman’s language, they are gentle introductions to the subject. As bromides (ADHDers are “creative”, “gifted”, etc.), the books sometimes encourage an ADHDer to get evaluated, formally diagnosed and treated.

However, to families and partners, stressed and exhausted from dealing with ADHD behaviors, these three books have a disadvantage: their focus on what others can do to help the person with ADHD. (Taking personal responsibility is suggested only very quietly to the ADHDer.) Friends and family are better advised to quickly read these books and move on to more-detailed, practical sources of information:

ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says, by Russell Barkley.
      The ADD Roller Coaster, by Gina Pera.
      Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults, by Thomas E. Brown.

The Barkley, Pera and Brown books are highly readable and easy to understand.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.