Better late than never

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Better late than never

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pychicfakes 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

hank1000
    Participant

After 62 years volatile years, my journey to figure out what was wrong with me found its destination – I have ADHD. My illness has been cloaked by years of depression, anxiety, and impulsive choices that harmed my financial situation, despite acheiving a great deal professionally. My personal life has fared better, only because of a loving wife. and because I focused on my childrens well-being. During my childhood I had a loving family, however personality or cognitive flaws were considered “crosses to bear”, character flaws, or totally ignored. I promised myself I wouldn’t make that same mistake with my kids.

I was prescribed ritalin after my doctor checked off all of the “usual suspects” (which took 20 years after I first seeked counseling way back when). An hour after taking my first dose, a sense of focus I had never before witnessed miraculously appeared. The best way to describe my reaction is – stunned! Neither estatic nor resentful, just trying to take things in.

Anyway, thought I would share. It’s only been a week, but I know. It’s analogous to having a life-long migrane headache that has magically disappeared.

All the best

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

That’s fantastic news that you are seeing great results with medication already.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you Penny

Hannemor
    Participant

Congratulations, it is such a relief to get an answer! I was diagnosed with depression at 48. I insisted that there was something more wrong with me and after 7 months I was referred to a psychologist,yep, I had Adhd…said to my doctor; told you so! And this is three years ago, still hard to live with Adhd, but now I know what it is…Good luck to you…and good life…

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you so much! I am very new to this and have a lot to learn. My journey begins….

anomalocaris
    Participant

Knowing makes a difference, though in my case it’s also frustrating because I know, but I can’t do anything about it, because I can’t afford treatment or counseling. But knowing allows you to at least be prepared and develop some strategies.

hank1000
      Participant

I’m trying to figure out how to explain this all to my wonderful wife!

mitzimainer
    Participant

Hank,

I totally get it. I was diagnosed at 49 and I too was prescribed Ritalin. Within the first hour my thought was “so this is how people meditate” as I felt a calmness over my whole body that I had never felt before.

Ritalin truly changed my life. Congratulations!!

Mitzi

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you Mizi – amazing

akaterri
    Participant

I too cant afford treatment or counseling either but i am seeking help via free county resources. Sometimes they go by what you make but you basicly you get what you pay for. This being the second time i told them I worked but as a contractor and didnt have insurance that would cover seeking a diagnosis…still working on this well see what happens.

hank1000
    Participant

Just an update. Perhaps I might have been undergoing ‘placebo effect’, but four weeks later I know that indeed ADHD has been a force that I had to deal with for 60-odd years. I’m still trying to digest all of this. It’s amazing.

One might lament all the unneccessary sufferring endured from years of not understanding one’s illness. Perhaps I’ll give myself two seconds of sympathy(no one else will), but now it’s time to move on.

This is just the start of something new! I will have much more to say in the future

pychicfakes
    Participant

Well my psychiatrist did prescribe a light dose of adderall. Now my insurance won’t approve it until my doctor send an LOMN. Once that is sent THEN the have to make a decision whether they are going to cover it or not. Called CVS and they stated that my doctor hasn’t even started the dag on paperwork. I am beyond frustrated right now. I just want to know what it’s like to feel like normal human being ya know. There’s nothing I can do about right now. I really hate that feeling of being powerless.

Just rocking back in forth in my seat at work. Trying to hold it together.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.