Better late than never

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Better late than never

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  ivry321 1 month ago.

• Author

hank1000
    Participant

After 62 years volatile years, my journey to figure out what was wrong with me found its destination – I have ADHD. My illness has been cloaked by years of depression, anxiety, and impulsive choices that harmed my financial situation, despite acheiving a great deal professionally. My personal life has fared better, only because of a loving wife. and because I focused on my childrens well-being. During my childhood I had a loving family, however personality or cognitive flaws were considered “crosses to bear”, character flaws, or totally ignored. I promised myself I wouldn’t make that same mistake with my kids.

I was prescribed ritalin after my doctor checked off all of the “usual suspects” (which took 20 years after I first seeked counseling way back when). An hour after taking my first dose, a sense of focus I had never before witnessed miraculously appeared. The best way to describe my reaction is – stunned! Neither estatic nor resentful, just trying to take things in.

Anyway, thought I would share. It’s only been a week, but I know. It’s analogous to having a life-long migrane headache that has magically disappeared.

All the best

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

That’s fantastic news that you are seeing great results with medication already.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you Penny

Hannemor
    Participant

Congratulations, it is such a relief to get an answer! I was diagnosed with depression at 48. I insisted that there was something more wrong with me and after 7 months I was referred to a psychologist,yep, I had Adhd…said to my doctor; told you so! And this is three years ago, still hard to live with Adhd, but now I know what it is…Good luck to you…and good life…

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you so much! I am very new to this and have a lot to learn. My journey begins….

anomalocaris
    Participant

Knowing makes a difference, though in my case it’s also frustrating because I know, but I can’t do anything about it, because I can’t afford treatment or counseling. But knowing allows you to at least be prepared and develop some strategies.

hank1000
      Participant

I’m trying to figure out how to explain this all to my wonderful wife!

mitzimainer
    Participant

Hank,

I totally get it. I was diagnosed at 49 and I too was prescribed Ritalin. Within the first hour my thought was “so this is how people meditate” as I felt a calmness over my whole body that I had never felt before.

Ritalin truly changed my life. Congratulations!!

Mitzi

hank1000
      Participant

Thank you Mizi – amazing

akaterri
    Participant

I too cant afford treatment or counseling either but i am seeking help via free county resources. Sometimes they go by what you make but you basicly you get what you pay for. This being the second time i told them I worked but as a contractor and didnt have insurance that would cover seeking a diagnosis…still working on this well see what happens.

hank1000
    Participant

Just an update. Perhaps I might have been undergoing ‘placebo effect’, but four weeks later I know that indeed ADHD has been a force that I had to deal with for 60-odd years. I’m still trying to digest all of this. It’s amazing.

One might lament all the unneccessary sufferring endured from years of not understanding one’s illness. Perhaps I’ll give myself two seconds of sympathy(no one else will), but now it’s time to move on.

This is just the start of something new! I will have much more to say in the future

pychicfakes
    Participant

Well my psychiatrist did prescribe a light dose of adderall. Now my insurance won’t approve it until my doctor send an LOMN. Once that is sent THEN the have to make a decision whether they are going to cover it or not. Called CVS and they stated that my doctor hasn’t even started the dag on paperwork. I am beyond frustrated right now. I just want to know what it’s like to feel like normal human being ya know. There’s nothing I can do about right now. I really hate that feeling of being powerless.

Just rocking back in forth in my seat at work. Trying to hold it together.

Linnea56
    Participant

Wow! This strikes a chord. I’m 63. Just diagnosed last year. After a lifetime of wondering why I could not stop procrastinating. Only having a deadline helps me to focus. And I am self-employed, so it is almost impossible to enforce one. When I had kids at home, it helped. “Must finish this before they get home” is a deadline.

I am married to an efficient engineer who can’t figure out why I am the way I am. And has precious little sympathy for the disorganization. He equates it with mental illness. Thanks.

Tried Adderall right away but it was ineffective for me. Or to be more accurate, the racing heart rate I had cancelled out any focus I could achieve.

After almost a year of seeing 2 therapists for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and making very limited progress, I am starting a different class of medication tomorrow. I do not have prescription drug coverage, so I am limited in my options.

Wishing all of you success….I just found this forum today.

Miss Caraway
    Participant

Hank, I a 62 and was diagnosed 6 months ago. Twenty minutes after my first dose of meds my brain was quiet for the first time ever. It was emotionally overwhelming that first time and I’m thankful I had the day to myself. I’ve joked with my physician that I need counseling to identify and abandon unconscious coping skills. I have recognized that I am grieving for what wasn’t in my life and slowly understanding the positives of my adhd. I could always hyper focus on self learning and problem solving on things that interested me but don’t ask if my house clean and orderly or my taxes are done. I am lucky to have an understanding husband who never knew what he was coming home to and has been financially supportive. I spent years on and off antidepressants with little effect. It was sure hard to go through life being unable to manage the mundane parts of life that others seemed to find almost effortless.
    Corinne

bgalvez
    Participant

I’m 42 and a few years into medication. I take Adderall. I went through my doctor (until recently) and nearly stopped taking the medication because of the stigma surrounding stimulants and being treated as if I was “drug seeking”. The only reason I have continued is that my wife sees the difference and is very supportive. I’ve discovered that dosage and how I take medication is very critical. If I could afford XR (extended release) I would use it. I’ve discovered (over the years) that when the medication wears off I can have problems of ADHD plus irritability (slight withdrawal). Now I spread my dose throughout the day by taking my meds when I wake up, at lunch, and around 3PM. If I don’t go to sleep before my meds wear off I have a hard time sleeping (I always have…). It’s always strange to me that an amphetamine makes me sleepy and calm. Also, I’ve found that much of my symptoms are resolved when I limit my refined sugar intake. As I type this I’m supposed to be getting ready for work (typical ADHD priorities imbalance). Better take my morning med. What I wanted to say is that be patient with figuring out dosage and usage. I only recently started to work with a counselor and it’s been FANTASTIC. Three years in, I’m still trying to figure out the best way to maintain the right dosage (currently 10mg at 7am, 20mg at noon, and 10mg at 3pm) Good luck and Congratulations!

ngrice
    Participant

Wonderful–so happy for you! I’m near that stage of life as well. I’ve known for about seven years that I’ve had ADHD (diagnosed at age 50). I would love for this to happen to me but I’ve tried pretty much every med out there and either they don’t work or, more so, the side effects are too great. I can’t take stimulants–they make me clench my teeth so badly I can hardly open my mouth. The last one made me so tired I couldn’t focus at work because of THAT–so Catch 22. I’m open to recommendations!

ivry321
    Participant

That’s so cool that you are embracing your ADHD the way you are.

Unfortunately, Ritalin doesn’t get rid of the ADHD, it simply helps you calm down so you can treat the symptoms of ADHD. Most ADHD can be considered a learning disability,our cognition is out the window. You may even find out depression and anxiety will need to be treated with a different medication. CBT is the best for dealing with ADHD in my opinion, if you can afford a good counselor or coach that specializes in ADHD. Most of my problem at any one time is the shame I feel after a lifetime of mishaps,

Don’t get me wrong I love my amphetamines it helps calm down the racing mind which in turn helps me focus better.I am also on bi-polar meds which also helps slow the mind down so I can focus and sleep better. Impulsive behavior is a learned behavior. While your mind is slowed down you can learn what got you impulsive in the first place.

Anyway, I don’t want to rain on your parade, life gets a lot better after embracing the ADHD diagnosis. I just want to plant some seeds as it may save you time, as you treat these ADHD symptoms.

Have fun

Dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.