Best Ways to Get Stuff Done

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Best Ways to Get Stuff Done

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Britney07
      Participant

I am 19 years old with ADHD and co-morbid anxiety and OCD. I am being tested for sensory processing disorders, sleep disorders, depressive and other mood disorders, and I am having various neurological tests done as well.

I am looking for any suggestions on how to motivate myself to get things done. I can’t seem to motivate myself to get things completed. I’m taking concerta twice a day and it seems to be doing nothing. I have no deadlines so I have no motivation to get things finished, but my parents are after me to do some stuff around the house but during the day I am the only one home and it is hard to get these things done. But by the time my parents come home after work my medicine has worn off and I am not very pleasant to be around.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The ADHD brain is motivated differently, and not simply by the fact that something is important. These articles offer great strategies to get motivated, despite ADHD:

What’s My Motivation? (No, Seriously, I Need to Get Started.)

Getting Things Done Just Got Easier

Secrets of Your ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Britney07
        Participant

I know this may seem crazy but I have read all three of these articles and it seems like I can’t understand any of what I am reading. I don’t know why I can’t understand it and it makes me so frustrated I burst into tears. I just wish I could find help to figure out what to do from here.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

It sounds like a therapist or ADHD Coach might be ideal for you. It would be someone to walk you through the steps to help you pull everything together and achieve your goals.

FAQ About ADHD Coaching

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.