best place in the US for kids with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning best place in the US for kids with ADHD

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

dragoncita
    Participant

We live in Mexico and our son goes to the private school where I teach (for free). He’s at the end of his 3rd grade year. 4th grade is the last year of elementary. He has had a lot of behavior issues (up to now, not academic issues) and has been taking Ritalin LA for three years (he’s 9.5 now). This week the elementary admin told us that he may be asked to leave at the end of 4th grade. They are sort of giving him the year to shape up, but they don’t seem to understand that he will always have ADHD. We will be doing everything we can to help him succeed this year, including probably raising his dosage in August and finding a good therapist (they are hard to find here; we’ve had some in the past, but don’t right now), but there is a very real possibility that he will be asked to leave.

If so, I’m trying to figure out what we should do next and how we should best prepare for that. One likely possibility would be moving back to the US. I say “back,” but our son is Mexican and has never lived in the US (he is American too, technically). I’m very anxious about pulling him out of his country and the only home he’s ever known, and suddenly going to a big public school (he’s been totally sheltered here, but we wouldn’t be able to afford that in the US) where probably everyone will be speaking English, and he doesn’t know anyone, and where his family suddenly has much less money (and we will be worrying about money all the time)….and hey, we too would be leaving our home of 17 years and going to who knows where. it would be incredibly stressful. it’s one option, but i’m not sure it’s the best option. and even if it is what we decide to do, well, the US is an awfully big country and i wouldn’t know where to start. which is really my question…

How should I start researching this? How should I decide where we might go?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Really, anywhere with great public education and a university with a clinic nearby.

This would cover a lot of metropolitan areas if you can afford to live in those neighborhoods.

I am partial to New England, especially the Boston area, if you want a combo of great public schools and great clinics/universities nearby…

dragoncita
    Participant

Thanks!

SkinOfMyTeeth
    Participant

he is American too, technically

Hey @dragoncita,

He is a United States Citizen by birth. There’s no technically there. If he doesn’t have a US passport, get him one soon. It will make a big difference later in his life should he need it or want it.

Back to your op question. Which school district would be best is difficult to say. But, perhaps a place with a large Mexican population in a large school district not too far from Mexico would make sense. Look into California’s Coachella Valley area. The main cities there are Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert and a few more. In the Coachella Valley there is a population of over a million people, but it has a certain “small town feel to it”.

Many Americans use the term “Hispanic” as if it’s all homogeneous. While they do share a common language, there is a difference between Cubans, South Americans and Mexicans in culture. I’d assume you’d want a more Mexican culture and that area has a Mexican influence. It does get a tad bit warm in the summer (so much so that they won’t even admit it’s hot if it’s under 100). But, it doesn’t rain much.

dragoncita
    Participant

Hi, Skinofmyteeth. I say “technically” because he’s never lived in the US and doesn’t really think of himself as an American. But yeah, he has a US passport; we’ve been back to visit family many times. But his home is Mexico.

I’ll check out the Coachella Valley. Thanks.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I second the suggestion of Massachusetts. I hear that education for kids with learning disorders and developmental disorders is amazing there, even in the public schools.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.