Best medication

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user xochescobedo in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I have a 7 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I need some help or some advice. Her doctor didn’t give me much info, she just handed me pamphlets and told me to review and pick one. I’m very concerned and overwhelmed. It’s been 4 weeks and I still don’t know what to pick. I still have lots of questions…

First, what is the difference on stimulants and non stimulants? She isn’t very hyper, she can stay still and remain seated and stuff like that. Her main problem is focusing, she is really behind on school…

How do I know whats best for her ? What are the long-term side effects of medication?

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user 20Beth13 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

When I started medication with my son, I researched side effects since my son has epilepsy which guided initial choices. Still very much trial and error approach. Medication was changed or adjusted based on response or side effects. I had teacher input through physician-provided rating scales since medication benefits tended to wear off by end of school.

I know what he is taking now may change as he grows.

Best of luck!

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Statsmum in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi there,

Your doctor has not been very helpful. I don’t know if your saw your family doctor, but it is best to see a pediatrician who is knowledgeable in this area, or a child psychologist. You definitely should not have to make this decision on your own — rather you need to work with the doctor. If at all possible, see if you can find someone more helpful.

Here is a link to information about medications: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/add-adhd/attention-deficit-disorder-adhd-medications.htm

If you can’t click on it, copy and paste it into your browser.

My 15-year-old daughter (her issues are mainly focus, attention, same as your daughter) is taking Vyvanse, a stimulant. She needs a long-acting medication to get her through the school day and for homework in the afternoon/early evening. As 20Beth13 said, medications act differently on different children, and you don’t know until you try.

All the best!

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ggmarie in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi, you should seek out a good neurologist! That’s what I did and they know better then a regular pediatrician since it is a brain disorder. My son takes Intuniv and it has helped him so much. It’s not a stimulant, it’s actually a blood pressure medicine that calms him down and help him focus without the highs and lows of stimulant drugs. And it doesn’t lower the blood pressure in children it just brings their system down. He is doing so much better in school his grades went way up and he takes naps and is much much calmer. He is ten years old. Only the name brand works on him; we tried the generic and it didn’t do what the name brand does.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

The only way to know which medication will work best for your child is to try some.

Stimulants and non-stimulants work differently — both have risks. Generally speaking, stimulants are most effective for more individuals with ADHD.

Read some about ADHD medications and kids to get a better handle on how it all works:
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1592.html
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/6581.html
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/718.html

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ClaudiaMilli in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I am not against medication, but just putting out there that you should do what you feel works for your family, and some people are overly sensitive to the side effects and choose to not medicate. Maybe keep a journal of what is taken and the side effects, and you could show it to your doctors at follow ups. It is about finding the right match and the right dosage. Ask your child how they feel a few times a day, and watch how they act, eat, sleep, and feel.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user tozm in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

My son sees a naturapath for his medication. He takes vitamin B, glutamine, taurine and a few other natural medications and is doing well. Doing well at school also.

I found the stimulant medication too potent and it does have long-term effects on your child.

I know adults who fare well on stimulant meds, but I’m too nervous to give it to my son again.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user SamK91 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

My pediatrician gave me pamphlets to read and make a decision on what medication to choose. She suggested a psychologist, but my son who is six rarely talks about his feelings and his usual response is, “I don’t know.” I chose to go the medication route as I have seen the effects of it on other children and it made a world of difference for them. We are trying Byphetin and my son is on a low dose. It’s only been a few months and I still see huge mood swings and defiance issues with him. Then there are days where he is the sweetest kid. I will be going back to the pediatrician and asking more questions as I feel I am better informed after reading many questions and answers, reading information on links that I have found here. Good luck.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.