Best Med for Hyperactivity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Best Med for Hyperactivity

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  shells1104 1 day, 13 hours ago.

• Author

adhdmomofthree
    Participant

My son, whose ADHD is primarily hyperactive, has been taking Focalin XR for about six years. While it helps him with focusing he still has experienced the negative effects of his hyperactivity. I’m wondering if anyone has had success with a particular medication that does a great job of addressing the hyperactivity component of ADHD?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

All stimulants are meant to help ease hyperactivity. There’s not one that’s better for a certain symptom than any others. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. If the Focalin isn’t helping enough with hyperactivity, it may be time to try a new med.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

noellecherie21
    Participant

There are things that you can do other than try a different medication. Exercise & diet regulation are 2 key factors that could be influencing your son’s hyperactivity. Many individuals with hyperactivity require more exercise in or to get they hyperactivity out of their systems for a time being. If he hyper when he should be doing homework then perhaps you could purchase a bouncy chair so that he is still moving but also being productive. Another option are toys specifically designed for indivials who need to fidget in order to pay attention. Another avenue to consider is your son’s diet. For example, rerefined sugars, artificial colors & flavors especially red dye 40 are known for causing hyperactivity & many other ADHD symptoms. It may be a good idea to eliminate these items from his diet if at all possible. Now I am not saying that you shouldn’t look into changing his medication, just that it is better to take a more wholistic approach when dealing with situations such as these. There have been many studies that link food intake with ADHD symptoms. There are a few books that I highly recommend: 1.) Driven to Distraction by Edward Hallowell M.D. 2.) Healing ADD by Dr. Amen. Dr. Amen’s book explains that there several different types of ADD & that certain types require certain medications in order to effectively work. This book is based off of the 72,000+ brain scans that he has done with SPECT. Without going into the whole thing I would highly recommend both of these books because they are both written by doctors who have experience in his field & that there research is backed up by several empirical studies. I hope this helps you, because it has certainly helped me! Good luck!

laurie@lneely.com
    Participant

Hi! My daughter was diagnosed at about 8 yrs. she had both hyperactive and attention issues. She could not take stimulants, so we tried Intunive, which seemed to take care of the hyperactive issues. You just need to start at a low dose, because it can cause drowsiness,and take it st night, as directed. It worked well for us!

shells1104
    Participant

Hi!
    My son had his same issue. He has always taken a stimulant which helped, but when it wore off he was still very hyper and had difficulty sleeping. Our doctor recommended Intuniv with his regular stimulant and it has helped a lot. Also helped with with frustration he would get when his stimulant medicine would wear off.
    So he now takes stimulant during the day and Intuniv at night. Also Intuniv is not fast acting and takes a few days to see the results. The first few days he started it made him super tired, but after about a week I started to see it help with his hyperactivity and the extreme drowsiness he had at first decreased.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.