Being Interrupted

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      dmvaughn00
      Participant

I was just wondering whether anyone else here has a pet peeve with being interrupted while talking or doing an activity you’re focused on. Today, I got really pissed off at someone who kept repeatedly interrupting me in a conversation and not letting me finish my thought. I find that I get extremely frustrated when I’m interrupted constantly in a conversation because I lose my train of thought or because I didn’t get to finish what I was saying. And when I get frustrated, it very quickly escalates to anger, and I just SNAP and go off on the person. I always feel terrible after I do that, and I usually try to apologize. I just hope I am not alone in this.

busyblueeyes
      Participant

Omg yes I can completely relate to this! My biggest pet peeve in particular is when someone interrupts me when I am trying to read, listen to music or watching something on the TV. It takes SO much effort for me to focus on whatever I’m doing that this irrational anger-monster just explodes when someone breaks my concentration. It gets particularly bad when someone who is a friend or a family member interrupts me because they KNOW how hard it is for me to concentrate, and on some level it makes me feel like they don’t care about the struggle I go through just to complete a simple task.

Ranma
      Participant

I get very irritated when someone talks over me or interrupts.
      When I really blow my stack is when I’m hyper focused on something important, and people who should know better, interrupt and bring everything to a screeching halt, and I’m the one who’s screeching screaming and yelling at the one who interrupted me.
      I feel bad afterward, only when it’s someone I know, sorry but you should never bother a perfect stranger when they are obviously busy and not acknowledging your presence.

You are nowhere near alone in this area, I’m pretty sure this goes hand in hand with A.D.H.D.

MJ1981
      Participant

You’re speaking my language. This happens to me all the time and my rage knows no bounds.

MJ1981
      Participant

This sounds exactly like me. Exactly. I have the same problem because it takes so much effort to get my thought together in the first place that being forced to start over is exhausting.

emdubb2112
      Participant

Me too. My wife has about had it. During the COVID lockdown, and work-from home, I have become too much to handle and I’m faced with a potential divorce. I’ve decided to cut alcohol completely out of my life and revisit my current medications (Adderall and Intuniv) and consider going back to Wellbutrin. I feel as though stimulant medication makes it worse. Not having a place to work combined with two daughters (each with ADHD) both in virtual learning equates to non-stop interruptions. I am so ashamed at myself and will be desperately seeking a new therapist ASAP. I feel for you all experiencing this during these challenging times. It is a nightmare and is tearing my family apart.

LadyK
      Participant

Yeah, I don’t take being interrupted very well either. Especially if I’m kind of “in the zone” with an activity or something. It’s hard for me to shift focus when I’m engaged, and I can be guilty of lashing out at my family sometimes. I always apologize and make sure I explain that breaking concentration really upsets me, and that I’m sorry for overreacting.

Now if we’re talking about interrupting conversation, then I would be more likely to be the one interrupting or speaking more than my fair share. I’m still working on improving that lol. I’ve always got a lot of ideas and thoughts to share, so I’m working on trying to hold myself back a little. I hate being rude.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.