Behaviour

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  i_spell 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Tammychappell5583
    Participant

Mmy 7 year old has features of adhd but won’t diagnosed as at school he os ok he has ocd. But hos bbehaviour is putting strain on my marriage and family im at breaking point

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It is tough when behavior is only in certain environments. Fear of getting into trouble might be helping him hold it together at school right now. At this point, some therapy and continued monitoring is probably best.

A Pragmatic Parent’s Guide to Behavior Therapy for ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

i_spell
    Participant

Sometimes children with anxiety can also hold it together until they get home and then they melt. One great idea is creating a structured downtime as soon as he is home with some alone activities that help with regulation: snack, room with door closed and colouring, lego, stuffies, etc. After some alone time, then exercise to regulate energy again. If you make it something everyone has to do, then it’s more about self-care. If it’s truly ADHD it will start to affect academics once they become more challenging. Teaching him self-regulation now could go a long way to helping him help himself and not take it out on you. Hope that is helpful…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.