behavior regression

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents behavior regression

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      dragoncita
      Participant

Lately our 10-year-old (with ADHD) has had pretty bad behavior at home, with really immature, more like a 5-year-old behaviors. Could this be a sign of anxiety? Our neurologist wants us to try adding Zoloft to the 20 mg of Ritalin LA he currently takes, but we were waiting and discussing with each other (my husband and I, I mean) if it was necessary. Just wondering if regressive behavior is a sign of anxiety…or just ADHD? or both? Thanks.

kbj2017
      Participant

I don’t mind helping you out.

Speaking as A 19 year-old kid with ADHD:

Anxiety is a possibility, but when ADHD is added to it, these two are not mutually exclusive usually. When dealing with us (kids especially), anxiety and ADHD go hand-in-hand, because anxiety is normally a linked result of ADHD.

Because of how our brains are wired, kids with ADHD are normally a few years behind other kids in terms of their mental & emotional development. Unfortunately, because we are often oblivious to how our behavior impacts ourselves & others, we fail to fully grasp when something we do is inappropriate for the situation.
      It’s the equivalent to touching a hot stove & getting burned for the first time. Sure it hurt, but until we understand WHY and WHEN to NOT touch a hot stove, we’ll do it again out of ignorance because we can’t recall the first time we did it.
      So I would say that the immaturity (and regression) your kid is displaying is completely normal because he has ADHD.

Hopefully this helps,
      -Kendall Boults Jr.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.