Beau’s advocate

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AutumnDraidean 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Beaus Advocate
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m new here as my son is new to ADHD. Let me give some background and on our situation. My sons name is Beau he is 3 years old and will turn 4 on November 27th, and he has had a pretty unusual up bringing so far. I was in the military when he was born and his mother and I split up about 6 months after he was born, at about 1.5 years old I moved home with him but his mother stayed in the city he was born in (1200 mi away). I have full custody and she has visitation, basically she gets him for a month or so in the summer. I am currently remarried and he is living with myself, my wife, her daughter (7 years old) and our daughter (3 months old). He talks to his mom via FaceTime about once a week for a few minutes there really isn’t much correspondence between them other then that.

My son has had behavior issues since about one year old. He has been kicked out of 11 daycare or so for being violent and unmanageable. I was hoping he would grow out of this but it seems it hasn’t gotten any better maybe even worse. He has a lot of meltdowns and fits. Over 20 a day on a bad day, he is very impulsive emotional and hyper at times. His fits include self harm, throwing himself on the ground, screaming over and over again, hitting others, and saying terrible things. He has made all of his developmental milestones and is very bright, his speech is slight above his age group and his spatial skills are above average.

Recently my wife and I took him to a counseling center where we have been seeking help. The nurse practitioner had put him on Adderall 2.5mg, that seemed to have no affect on him. We stepped it up to Adderall 5mg, the first 3 days were very good. He seemed collected and calmer, although the first couple of hours of the day he did not really want to participate in any activities and seemed withdrawn. After 3 days he seemed to regress and the meltdowns started to return, not as bad as before but a lot worse then the first few days. The 5mg was wearing off around around 3pm,So we tried Adderall XR 5mg that had no affect just like the 2.5. Now we are on Adderall 7.5mg, today is the first day and I’m concerned that the withdrawn side affects will be a lot worse than when he was on the 5mg.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with Adderall at this young of an age and what their experience was. I’m looking into getting an autism screening as I’m not 100% sure ADHD is the problem here. I’m afraid if we don’t get this situation figured out he will not succeed in school next year. Any advice and criticism is welcome. Thank you for your time.

– Beau’s Advocate

Beaus Advocate
    Participant

Also I should mention. His mother was diagnosed with Bipolar-Depression and smoked cigarettes while pregnant with him. I couldn’t get her to quit. Also he does a lot better at home when there is t very much going on, he still has fits and meltdowns but they are not nearly as bad. In a daycare setting or a setting with a lot of people or things going on his meltdowns are much more intense and much more frequent. This of course is when he is not medicated. Also any form of punishment seems to have no affect, negative reinforcement, positive reinforcement, rewards for good behavior, taking away things. Nothing seems to have any real constructive affront him. Just a couple of pieces of information I feel are relevant.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

First and foremost, I urge you to read “The Explosive Child,” by Ross Greene, PhD. It outlines reasons for meltdowns and intensity, helps you determine the reasons behind these behaviors, and offers a parenting approach that WORKS.

As for medication, it’s a tricky process to find the right medication and dosage for each individual. You may see side effects that go away after a few days, or you may have too many side effects and have to switch medications. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.It may be that amphetamine based medications are not right for him. This primer will help you understand the medications and this process better:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

I do encourage you to get an autism evaluation as well. Many, many kids with autism have ADHD as well, and vice versa. (My son is one of them.) Instances labeled as behavior issues can very well be driven by characteristics of autism. It’s definitely worth looking into.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AutumnDraidean
    Participant

I think you should ask your pediatrician for a referral to a developmental pediatrician. They will help you unravel what’s going on with Beau and help you get hooked up with the right help and services. If they don’t seem to be able to help another place to ask at is your local Head Start, even if you are not income eligible, he may be eligible because of the issues he’s having. If they are anything like my local head start they are always interested in getting more children enrolled because of how their grants are set up, plus they should be able to point you to a developmental pediatrician.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.