Autism Spectrum

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Pump2Duncan
      Participant

So we had our annual IEP meeting today. 1st meeting at new Charter school. First off, we L-O-V-E the school. The real time accommodations and communications have been terrific.

I never realized the things that were missing from my child’s IEP. His ADHD diagnosis was never added. Neither was his anxiety disorder. Only “Specific Learning Disability” was listed. The dean caught that quick, and the other diagnosis were added. We had talked about my son’s peer relation issues, inability to read social cues and impulse control. Then very gently, the Dean asks if my son was tested to see if he was on the autism spectrum. I said no. She’d like us to keep it in mind in case other people bring it up now that the social/peer issues are so evident. I said I’d talk to his pediatrician.

But is that were I start? Where do I start? Do I even need to start? Academics are great. Son has issue reading social cues from adults and peers, impulse control, and peer relations. He also has typical symptoms of ADHD. Dean mentioned it because she said when you combine the anxiety, social/peer issues, ADHD, rigid need for structure and the learning disability – signs are pointing to (perhaps) a form of high functioning autism. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I noticed the same things and that lead me to suspect autism for my son as well. By middle school, his social interactions were worse, not better, especially reading intention and other nonverbal communication. In addition, he was very inflexible and we were battling school refusal due to significant anxiety. It took 3 clinicians before we got the additional autism diagnosis, because his ADHD symptoms are so overt, and the autism is more subtle.

The addition of the autism diagnosis helped me understand my son better. That, in turn, helps me to help him more effectively.

Here’s more on ADHD and autism co-existing:

ADHD and the Autism Spectrum

Is It ADHD or Autism? Or Both?

ADHD, Anxiety, and Autism: Your AAA Guidebook

Great news about being at an awesome, understanding school! Wish all our kids had that opportunity!

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

Thank you for the articles. They made me almost cry because they remind me so much of my son. I reached out to an old friend, whose daughter has Asperger’s, and she was able to refer me to a local non-profit that may be able to help with diagnosis and any necessary counseling or treatment.

I feel like I did right before I turned in my portion of the Conner’s Test for the ADHD, like my heart is breaking. Part of me doesn’t even want to pursue the testing, even though I know it should be done.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

It’s really hard to think about your child having yet another disability. I try to focus on the fact that identification and diagnosis are the first step to knowing how to truly help my son with his struggles. That’s our goal as parents, right? So, keep your eyes on that, but also acknowledge and work through the emotions so you can be in the right frame of mind to do the best with the information (diagnoses) you are given. 😉

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.