Asperger, Autism and ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Asperger, Autism and ADHD?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  whisperingwings 2 months ago.

• Author

whisperingwings
    Participant

Hi, I am very socially awkward when I meet people for the first time but that’s only when I’m meeting new people. But I am very relaxed if it’s someone I know. Do I have Asperger or Autism? (I am already diagnosed with ADHD). I mean do people with Asperger or Autism feels entirely comfortable with some people and very different with new ones they meet?

Thanks

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I have social anxiety and I feel very anxious meeting new people (I avoid it) but am fine with people I know. So it could be that:

You’re Not Shy or Stuck Up. You Have Social Anxiety Disorder.

OR, it could be autism. These articles/self-tests may help you determine which is more likely:

What Does Autism Look Like in Adults?

[Self-Test] Autism Spectrum Disorder Symptoms in Adults

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to see a clinician for an evaluation.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Rosa J Brown
    Participant

No there are rare chances that you also have autism and Asperger as well along with ADHD.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

Although comorbidity happens, there is an essential difference in the social impact of each disorder.
    SUPER OVER SIMPLIFICATION
    In ADHD, you are more likely to miss social cues, but you generally can understand the ones that you notice.
    In ASD, even if you see the social cue, you don’t necessarily read or understand it.

whisperingwings
    Participant

Thank you to everyone who replied. Dr. Eric, can you give real life examples of how to tell it apart? In ADHD, people can understand what others are feelings and in ASD, they will not know if the person is happy, sad, angry, etc?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.