Asked a stupid question earlier

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Asked a stupid question earlier

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Yarlan Zey
      Participant

This morning I had an unexpected encounter with a guy I used to work for. It was morning time, and I’m not a big morning person so it takes time for my brain to wake up fully.

So yeah I ended up asking a really dumb question, partly to deflect the flow of conversation away from myself, if you know what I mean. I think in a way it wasn’t all that dumb, it just sounded extremely dumb after I said it. The guy answered the dumb question and quickly got away from me lol. When I say maybe it wasn’t that dumb, I mean if I had asked the question slightly differently, and in a more specific way, it would have been fairly reasonable. It might just be that “out of the box” way of thinking that ADHD people are known for.

This kind of thing has happened to me quite a lot in the past, especially when I’m talking to people who have some “authority” going on. I don’t tend to get on too well with authoritarian types, and they also tend to disapprove of me in some ways. I think I do it less often these days but it looks like I’m still vulnerable to it.

Anyway, hopefully getting this off my chest will keep that pesky “inner critic” at bay.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Sounds like some RSD (rejection sensitive dysphoria).

How ADHD Ignites Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Yarlan Zey
      Participant

Yeah I guess it sounds like RSD. I wonder about the other guy though, what label can we give him? lol.

If he was more easy-going he might have thought for a second and realised that I meant something a little different to what I had said. I don’t expect him to read my mind, just a little benefit of the doubt would be nice sometimes.

But anyway, I know you can’t change other people etc. etc.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Yarlan Zey.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.