Anyone try kava for adhd?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Anyone try kava for adhd?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrea-Finding Health & Wellness 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

dustbunny237
    Participant

I took some kava root yesterday, and amazingly it worked as well as adderall for focus and motivation without all the side effects (jitteriness, anxiety, insomnia). I’m definitely going to be trying this again although I only plan on using the kava a maximum of 3 days a week because daily use could potentially be bad for the liver. I talked to my doctor about this and he gave me the green light but said be cautious and take breaks from the kava. Has anyone tried this? I have major problems with insomnia and stimulants just exacerbate this problem a lot but kava does not. I have two theories why the kava works. One is that it increases dopamine which can help with adhd. My second theory is that I don’t actually have real adhd but just anxiety and the kava helps with the anxiety so I can thus focus better

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  dustbunny237.

rolmodl@hotmail.com
    Participant

I have not taken Kava but am interested to find out more about it. I have been looking for a natural alternative for while with no success.

Thank you for posting

dustbunny237
      Participant

I don’t want to sound like an advertisement so I won’t name any specific brands but I recommend instant/micronized kava powder, which you can just add to water. Make sure it’s root only and noble variety only. You can google it and there are plenty of varieties to choose from. Oh and also be sure to take it on an empty stomach. I took mine first thing in the morning.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  dustbunny237.

andrewk
    Participant

Its interesting Kava has helped you with focus. I have read its good for sleep by dropping anxiety. I have a Kava plant growing at the moment which I was planning to try for sleep. I take Quetiapine each night but am wanting to stop using it.

When I was in university – 20+ years ago – I took kava before exams. It calmed my nerves, which meant that it treated my test anxiety. As a result, I was able to think more clearly, recall information more easily and performed better.

Look up the book Kava: Nature’s Answer to Stress, Anxiety, and Insomnia. It was published in the late 90s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.