Anyone ever stop needing medication?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Anyone ever stop needing medication?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user Rachelaf1200 in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I met with a new psychiatrist today. He informed me that I am 39 years old and only children should be taking ADHD medication, and that I should simply learn life skills to learn to cope.

I tried to explain to him that I also see a psychologist who helps with certain issues in my life and coping with ADHD — and I am not taking the pills as a major cure all. He also informed me that I need a plan to stop taking the meds, so I do not keep taking them until I am old and get lots of side effects.

Pardon my language, this man was a complete and utter jerk — and I will not be seeing him ever again. But I’m just wondering what everyone’s thoughts about this are.

Is there anyone who actually learned enough “life skills” to live a full functioning life with out medication?

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user leelee2 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

OMG, this shrink sounds like a total mega moron! A quack! What a horrible situation for you to be in — I know the feeling of not having access to medications; I lost my job once and had no insurance to cover my antidepressants and I almost killed myself. The feeling of helplessness in the face of bureaucracy is overwhelming. I am a total space cadet without my generic Adderall. Seriously, I spaced out and put the dog’s water and bowl in the microwave and actually warmed it up instead of my coffee. I can’t get any work done without my meds and cannot pay attention to what my editor is talking to me about. I’m 11 years older than you and have learned every life skill there is to learn. (Slight exaggeration.) I have a wonderful psychiatrist, absolutely wonderful. What kind of med are you/were you on? I can’t believe a so-called doctor would force you to go off any med cold turkey in the first place. Is there a limit to how many controlled substances he can prescribe? Is he writing prescriptions for ADHD meds for himself in the name of his patients? It’s just strange. Hang in there; we’re with you!

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Bob from Cootamundra in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I am learning to cope with my ADD that was diagnosed at age 55.

My psychiatrist prescribed dextroamphetamine and I work much better. No more days that are just a fog of bits and pieces and nothing really achieved. Luckily, I am not addicted to the dex.

A psych friend told me that she didn’t believe in Adult ADD. Now, I think she meant ADD that is contracted as an adult. Maybe she meant that adults grow out of it!?!?! She suggested some other meds [cannot remember what] so I don’t get addicted.

The biggest side affect with dex is that I get a dry mouth. Big deal, so I sip water or chew gum.

Try to get a new doctor to prescribe some new meds. I like dex.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Rachelaf1200 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

To be clear, the doctor did refill my meds, but made me feel horrible about myself in the process. My other doctor — who was also a moron — retired, and I transferred to this guy — but I had already planned to have my primary take over my meds. This just seemed like an archaic thing to say — that only kids need meds? I have brain fog and can tell if I forget to take my Concerta — I am a mess.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user leelee2 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Well, it’s good that he refilled your meds. But it still stings not to be validated, and that’s one of the big issues we deal with when friends, family, etc. — anyone who has the power to influence our emotions — says they don’t believe in ADHD or adult ADHD. Ridiculous. It makes us doubt ourselves and think, “If they’re right, and there is no such thing, then what is wrong with me? It must mean that I’m an idiot.” Let’s seize our power back and renounce that notion, here and now.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user whizinc in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Run, run, as fast as you can, away from the quack man! Ditto to what leelee2 said.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user ADDedValue62 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I love that suggestion to “learn life skills.” Shows a serious lack of understanding of adult ADHD. I’m with whizinc — time to find a new doc.

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Sounds like someone that still thinks ADHD is only present in kids. It’s time to find yourself a new doctor. This is one of the myths that doctors still believe: https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8942.html

Here’s how to find the right doctor:
      https://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/12188.html

Penny
      ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Devon Frye
      Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user FL Spartan in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I’m 68 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD a year ago. It’s made a significant change in my life and marriage. I can’t take stimulants because of heart issues. I tried Strattera for 3 months and hated it (sweating, fainting, shallow breathing). Changed to bupropion and have no side effects (I thought my doctor gave me a placebo). 80% improvement of symptoms; planning to take it to my grave.

We all have different physical reactions to different drugs; experiment until you find the one that controls the negative aspects of ADHD with minimal side effects.

sylviec
      Participant

i had to stop using meds as they made me more anxious if calmer mentally – not a good tradeoff- i wasn’t offered other options is was ritalin or nothing – concerta.
      Anyway lucky for me i found mindfulness a few decades ago and have really developed it not that i understand my brain more with the ADHD diagnosis – that really helped me, so i think i was self medicating anyway but through meditations lol
      I think there are always life skills for everyone to learn social skills especially.
      my husband says the great thing about being married to me is that life will never be dull or predictable, i am predictably unpredictable and he likes that in me, i think we both do actually.

I always warn people i am very direct and literal cos of my ADHD and not to be too surprised by some of what i might say or do. I laugh about having ADHD nowadays too, that reduces the need for meds considerably. I think i have enough life skills combined with the right kind of support to get by for my remaining decades but i know i will acquire even more as i get even older lol.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.