Anyone else? Child forgets about his injury?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Anyone else? Child forgets about his injury?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      PocoPer
      Participant

I’m just wondering if this is par and parcel of ADHD. My young son just injured his ankle. We’ve since found out it was a fracture. Many times if he puts weight on it, it will hurt and I’ll see his face cringe with the pain. But sometimes he’ll walk on it like it’s nothing. When I call his attention to it, he’ll tell me he “forgot.” It almost makes me wonder what’s true and what’s not. I HATE doubting my child especially when in other areas he has not given me a reason to. So I’m wondering–can someone “forget” their pain momentarily if they have ADHD?

Thanks!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

My son had a weak of awareness of pain before he started taking ADHD medication. Now on stimulants, he is acutely aware. I think feeling pain or awareness of pain is controlled by neurotransmitters, so it makes sense that ADHD might change it for some.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

anomalocaris
      Participant

Never heard of any connection between pain sensitivity and ADD, but I have ADD and a high capacity for tolerating pain. I don’t generally have the option of getting injuries treated, nor do I have paid sick leave, or a car to get me to work. So, I just figured that having suffered any number of injuries and illnesses without medical care I had just gotten used to dealing with pain. I had a recent leg injury that looked really ugly, but … I have over a mile walk to work and no paid sick leave, so for a week I was walking 2 miles a day on it. Like they said in the old Kung Fu TV series: “Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding.” Finally got to see a doctor in a free clinic. He was shocked when he saw the state of it and said I was probably going to need orthopedic surgery. I didn’t need surgery after all, but apparently my response was way out of proportion to the severity of the injury, and I could have done severe damage by ignoring the pain and continuing to walk on it. So, maybe there is some connection between ADD and high pain tolerance.

PocoPer
        Participant

Thank you for your insight. Hearing from people with personal experiences is such a help. I suspect there is something with high pain tolerance and ADHD, however interesting this morning I found an article about pain sensitivity with ADHD. Maybe there’s a few variations with this.

Since you seem to experience similar to what my son is, but can articulate much better–may I ask: Is there anything that would help “remind” you when you shouldn’t be walking on an injury? I am trying to find the secret key into my son’s mind so that we can help him keep this info at the front and not file it away too deeply!

anomalocaris
      Participant

Thinking hard about this one, because in most cases, I simply have no choice. “Stay off it” sounds so simple. I even have crutches. But you can’t use crutches and carry things, so if I want to eat, I have to drop the crutches to carry my plate. If I want to feed my feline and chelonid “kids” I have to carry their dishes. If I want clean clothes, I have to carry the laundry. Having a cane or crutches, though, is a reminder for me. I may start to get up and then see the crutches and remember to grab them. I wonder, in your son’s case, though, if another solution might be better. What about talking to the doctor about having him use a walking boot for most or all of the day? That way he can actually walk on it safely. Normally they wouldn’t put you to that expense for less than a fracture, but the doc might consider it under the circumstances. Another possible solution that would be a lot cheaper would be to put something in his sock. That way, he’ll be bothered by that before he lands enough weight on the ankle to do any harm.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.