Any Physicians or Nurses here?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Any Physicians or Nurses here?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      SandraPB
      Participant

Hi. (this is a quite long text, the question is at the bottom :))

I just got diagnosed and I am quite bummed with everything that is going on in my life. The feeling is definitely not new but I though that maybe I could try and find someone that dueled or duels with something similar as I do… I am medical resident, wife and mum. Since I got to college I kind off lost most of the control in life I built during 18 years. I asked myself manytimes if it wasn’t best to change careers since I was very good and kind of obsessed with Maths and Chemie/physics (what I now understand it was actually hyperfocusing). I did good in school, I had a quite good visual memory, was pretty intuitive and did quick connections. I also did a lot o sport, had a few friends and so on. Stable life, quite boring I would say, I just made it interesting learning a lot of random things, most of the time I would start, give it a go for a few days to weeks and jump for the next thing. The only thing I didn’t “give up” was my dream of becoming a physician, specifically a surgeon. So I got in to college (in Portugal… A totally different system dann in the US), New city, everything new, it was exhilarating! I did astonishing good in the beginning, got some weird attention from teachers that commented about my good performance… And then two months in to college I couldn’t get a grip anymore, I was always racing… I New that felling, I had it a lot before… It was just out of control completely. Anyway I ended up finishing which was great… Or it should have felt like that. I took some risks, I learned 2 new languages, spanish and German, I moved to Switzerland and all should feel good… The thing is the struggle continues, I struggle with athe mundane things in life and work (oh the paperwork – everyone does I guess), I kind of don’t work like most of my colleagues… I lose a lot of time with thing that shouldn’t be prioritised because they are out of the box and to expensive to complicated, I spend too much time listening to patients and give attention to things that most my colleagues and superiors say are not important… So basically I am not enough.. Not professional, not enough organised, not intelligent enough, and so on, I even received comments like “it looks like you don’t care about the patient” because I didn’t recall the dosis of the Meds and I would prefer to check before saying it wrong. Anyway… I am also struggling finding my nest I guess.. I gave up the surgeon idea, wouldn’t like to give up medicine because I like the quest, the contact with people, the learning (although I often struggle to read and memorise … I find other methods to learn and function), the innovation, the feeling of transmitting hope and/or closure. I want to do a good job. So maybe someone in the same field or with similar challenges would like to exchange experiences?

katie_o
      Participant

Hey there! I’m not a nurse or in that field at all but just wanted to say that I relate a lot. My job is more on the creative side, I’m extremely passionate about it but like you the admin/laptop work is difficult for me. I feel we are right to pursue things we enjoy and are passionate about and we should only change our careers if we cannot find ways to solve the problems we are struggling with. Hopefully treatment will help with you a great deal. It must be so horrible to hear people say you don’t care about your patients when I can clearly tell it’s the opposite for you. People can be so insensitive at times and super quick to judge. I guess that’s the problem with ADD/ADHD. We have extraordinary skills and competence in some areas but at times it can look like we miss the mark because we can be forgetful and that can make us look like we don’t care when we really do.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by katie_o.
      • This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by katie_o.
Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.