Any ideas on how to problem-solve without outside help?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Any ideas on how to problem-solve without outside help?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jackh25
      Participant

Whenever I have a problem I need to think about, I tend to tell someone about it. In some ways, I think I may do this to push the emotional burden onto someone else, which is not good. But I also do it because it helps me think. When I try to think about solving a problem in my own mind, it gets all mixed up. When I tell someone else they sometimes point out a simple solution that seems really simple to me in hindsight.

Unfortunately, I’m obviously not able to ask others for help all the time. It’s emotionally draining for them, and some problems are too personal to talk to others about. Besides, there are some problems that seem so big that even talking to others doesn’t make them seem any clearer. I’ve tried going to therapists, but since I know I can only see them for about an hour each week I end up trying to tell them every problem I’m having, in the hope that they will somehow put it all together for me, but I end up spending the entire hour trying to explain everything.

It would be nice if I could pick a specific problem, lay it out in a structured way, and work on a solution, but it’s very hard to figure out how to do that without branching off in a million directions. Does anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks!

Ranma
      Participant

Sometimes I get strange looks, because, if I’m trying to figure something out, I talk to myself out loud.
      It’s easier to hear your voice because you’re engaging other parts of your brain, your inner voice is on its own competing with all the random thoughts flitting around.
      Well, for me anyway.

jackh25
        Participant

That’s probably why I find it easier to talk to other people. I try talking to myself when I’m alone, but it can be hard to focus then… It does help though, and I appreciate knowing that others do this too!

I think someone once suggested talking to a stuffed animal, and as silly as that sounds I wonder if it might work?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You might try a min-mapping app. This could help you work through the “million different ways.” I find that the ideas still swirl, even if I’ve dismissed them in my mind, until I write them down on paper. Even if it’s a terrible idea, it will persist in my head until I write it down to get it out.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jackh25
        Participant

That’s a great idea, thank you! Do you happen know of any specific app that you would recommend?

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

I don’t have a personal recommendation for a mind-mapping app, but I see Mind Node on a lot of top apps lists.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

DeaconBlues310
      Participant

Google “Lean Six Sigma.” It’s a discipline for solving business problems. There is a 5 step process called “DMAIC.” It means:

Define (the problem and goal to resolve it)
      Measure (or Quantify the Problem. This would loosely translate to “how the problem impacts you”).
      Analyze (Identify the root cause of the problem)
      Improve (brainstorm possible solutions; pick and implement the best solution)
      Control (how to sustain the improvement)

There’s WAY too much information about it. But the simplified basics are what I use to approach and resolve my problems. Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.