Anxiety or ADHD?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lateadhd 5 days, 1 hour ago.

• Author

lateadhd
    Participant

I’m 47 and 20 years ago I was diagnosed with General Anxiety and some OCD symptoms. For the last 10 years I’ve taken Zoloft, and it has helped a good bit (ups and downs I’d say with Zoloft). However, after my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD, I began considering the symptoms of ADHD and REALLY identified with the inattentiveness portion (not hyperactivity). I never really considered ADHD because I wasn’t hyper, and I graduated from college in 4 yrs. I thrived in college, playing on the basketball team and making good grades, but after college I kind of fell apart as I tried to work in several big companies. I was completely lost in corporate America. It wasn’t until I started my own company that I found my professional calling. I’m a creative person, and entrepreneurship really was a good fit for me. I very much identify with being VERY sensitive to criticism, I have a stack of books on my bedside table that I get half way through, but can’t finish. I drift off into space when people are talking to me. I am HORRORABLE with names…even family members! When I get on something, I can get very very focused at times though? Could ADHD be my predominate issue, or at least combined with the anxiety?

Jmschue
    Participant

My son has both ADHD and anxiety. They are commonly seen together in children. I would suggest talking to your doctor as you may want to try ADD medicine to see if you can increase you attention. Good luck.

lateadhd
    Participant

Thanks Jmschu. I have an ADHD evaluation scheduled coming up in a few weeks, so I’m anxious to see what the doc says.

lateadhd
    Participant

PS…is your son taking a med for the anxiety, and another for the ADHD?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.