Anxiety or ADHD?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  weisla 2 months ago.

• Author

lateadhd
    Participant

I’m 47 and 20 years ago I was diagnosed with General Anxiety and some OCD symptoms. For the last 10 years I’ve taken Zoloft, and it has helped a good bit (ups and downs I’d say with Zoloft). However, after my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD, I began considering the symptoms of ADHD and REALLY identified with the inattentiveness portion (not hyperactivity). I never really considered ADHD because I wasn’t hyper, and I graduated from college in 4 yrs. I thrived in college, playing on the basketball team and making good grades, but after college I kind of fell apart as I tried to work in several big companies. I was completely lost in corporate America. It wasn’t until I started my own company that I found my professional calling. I’m a creative person, and entrepreneurship really was a good fit for me. I very much identify with being VERY sensitive to criticism, I have a stack of books on my bedside table that I get half way through, but can’t finish. I drift off into space when people are talking to me. I am HORRORABLE with names…even family members! When I get on something, I can get very very focused at times though? Could ADHD be my predominate issue, or at least combined with the anxiety?

Jmschue
    Participant

My son has both ADHD and anxiety. They are commonly seen together in children. I would suggest talking to your doctor as you may want to try ADD medicine to see if you can increase you attention. Good luck.

lateadhd
    Participant

Thanks Jmschu. I have an ADHD evaluation scheduled coming up in a few weeks, so I’m anxious to see what the doc says.

lateadhd
    Participant

PS…is your son taking a med for the anxiety, and another for the ADHD?

louisW866
    Participant

Hi,

Maybe you should talk to the right person to assess if you really have ADHD. I’ve read it on a website that ADHD have a higher risk when it was not treated or diagnosed when you were a child or you maybe your using a substance for self-medication. The earlier you get diagnosed with ADHD, the better it will be. Try to read about the different treatment of ADHD.

Hope this can help you.

B0Peep
    Participant

As for the hyperfocus vs lack of focus part – that is normal with ADHD. Also, adults generally don’t show the “H” in “ADHD”. I might be wrong, but I am assuming we have it but we have learned to hide it by instinct. One more thing (yes, you can tell my case is fairly severe! ), ADHD is considered genetic so if you are not diagnosed there may actually be reason to question your daughters diagnosis (I know that sends you in circles but thoroughness is worth it here).

… And yet another thing! I too have General Anxiety (diagnosed after a major trauma 15 years ago but analysis suggests it was always there) and I was also excellent in school but lost the moment I went corporate. I am turning 49 soon and my diagnosis is only about a year old so we will have a LOT in common!

Good luck!
    B0Peep

louisW866
    Participant

Hi guys,

Just saw a blog and it gives tips on managing adult symptoms of ADHD and it is very effective. Try to check it out, I hope this can help you guys.

artistofOCMD
    Participant

I could have totally written your post! I have been treated for general anxiety and depression for over three years. My son was recently diagnosed with ADHD and my brother had it as a child, and says he still has symptoms. I too am a creative entrepreneur. I just read that 95% of patients self-diagnose themselves and 43% of doctors don’t even believe or recognize ADHD.

Do you see a psychiatrist? If so, they probably know you the best and can help to diagnose you. ADHD in adults is said to be very much like anxiety. Reach out for help. Good luck!

lateadhd
    Participant

Thanks artistofOCMD! Yes, I don’t have a psychiatrist (just see a family MD on occasion), but i did schedule an adhd evaluation about a month ago. The appt is actually is next week. I’m really eager for the appt because I’m so curious (and hopeful) that adhd might be a missing piece to a puzzle for me. Did you seek an evaluation and how did that go for you?

weisla
    Participant

I was treated for anxiety & some depression (mainly anxiety) for years with limited success. Like you, I was high functioning, did well in school, but faced challenges as an adult in the professional world. I was finally diagnosed with ADD in my 30’s. ADD treatment (including stimulant meds) has made a HUGE improvement in my anxiety/depression symptoms – more than any previous treatment, including Effexor & years of therapy.

lateadhd
      Participant

Thanks for sharing that weisl. I did go through an assessment earlier this week, and was in fact diagnosed with ADHD, and much to my surprise, I was told I have the hyperactivity portion as well as inattentiveness. I took Concerta for the first time yesterday actually. It wasn’t quite what I expected. I didn’t feel like a buzz or rush of energy, but I did find myself sitting in spot in an uncomfortable chair for 4 hours working on an important document without constantly moving from place to place or noticing others around me etc. I got a LOT of work done, and actually enjoyed it. I’ve read that for most Concerta last 6-8 hrs, but it was pretty much 10-12 for me. I got a little anxious as I felt it wearing off, and had a difficult timing falling asleep, but I did eventually, so it wasn’t terrible. Do you mind if I ask what med you take, and how it was in the beginning for you?

lateadhd
    Participant

Another question. I listened to a podcast recently that said that adhd meds have to “build up in your system” for full effectiveness (over 4-6 weeks they said). Is that right? This was a medical professional talking but that was contrary to what I thought. Opinions on your experience?

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Sounds like they were talking about a non-stimulant or anti-depressant maybe.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

weisla
    Participant

I started with Strattera, and developed bad depressive symptoms within a few weeks. Also tried Vyvanse and felt awful. I get the best results from Concerta, and occasionally supplement with immediate release Ritalin, or take it instead. I prefer Concerta as I have a hard time getting the dosing right for Ritalin. I take a generic form of Methylphenidate for both of these. Concerta worked well for me from the start, though I did have headaches for a few days.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  weisla.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.