ANXIETY/ DYSLEXIA / ADD MEDS??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond ANXIETY/ DYSLEXIA / ADD MEDS??

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      SLorenz
      Participant

My 8th grade son has had a great deal of ANXIETY about school. It’s happened since I remember, but this year is especially bad. He dreads going every day. He often can’t fall asleep or stay asleep. Like, I’m having to go sleep with him! We have several natural supplements that help SOMEWHAT, but I’m starting to think that I may need to go the route of trying a med. At school he is on an IEP for his dyslexia/dysgraphia/ audible processing. He’s hyper focused if he’s interested in something, but if not, forget it. He daydreams and is scattered. He is not hyper at all. He has always had some depression, too. I’m posting this incase any of you can relate and can share what has worked. Oh, and what kind of Dr to start with? Pediatrition, psychologist…

Pinkie2953
      Participant

Hi, My Granddaughter who is 15 has real difficulties getting up in the morning.. she hates school and gets really bad anxiety about school.. She never gets to school on time a d ends up getting in about 11 O’clock everyday. She also spends a lot of time on the phone to her mum while walking to school.. She hates going shopping because people will see that she eats! She is on her phone watching films all evening and will not put it down intill 12 O’clock.. She can stay in bed up to about 2 and 3 o’clock at the weekend.. Life has become very difficult for us all because of the stress we are all under.. Her mum has now been diagnosed with ADHD and now feel my granddaughter has it too..I really hope you might be able to some support and maybe a diagnosis for your son too..I would start with your Doctor first.. will be thinking of you..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Pinkie2953.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

School avoidance and refusal is a very real and terribly difficult issue for many kids with learning challenges. My son has had school avoidance and refusal for nearly 6 years now. It’s one of the toughest aspects of parenting him — law says kids must go to school, and refusal just looks like laziness. But, it’s anything but laziness. It’s due to events at school that are causing our kids discomfort, emotional pain, and/or anxiety.

Once I realized there was always something happening at school that was his reason for avoidance, and addressed each issue with his school, the refusal and avoidance improved a little. They key was that the school has to honor his experience and act accordingly. When they do, avoidance reduces… when they don’t, it’s bad again.

Reasons can be anything from being teased or bullied, to learning difficulties that make the work hard, to being misunderstood by one or more teachers, to the environment being too loud or chaotic, etc… Until each and every issue is addressed and remedied, the avoidance and refusal will continue.

A couple years ago I discovered Jerome Schultz’s book, Nowhere to Hide, which addresses the stress kids like ours are suffering at school and what it does to their cognitive functions and the like. Here’s an article excerpt from him as well as a replay of a webinar ADDitude did with him.

Why School Stress Is Toxic for Children

Free Webinar Replay: Teaching Students with ADHD

We chose to try medication with our son in 1st grade because he was really suffering, feeling sad and defeated all the time. It made a huge difference for him. Of course, he still struggles, because medication is only one tool in addressing life with ADHD, but it helps a great deal for most.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

SLorenz
      Participant

Thank you. That book looks wonderful! He finally slept great last night after receiving a 10 lb weighted blanket yesterday that his grandma made him. At least that piece of his problem is showing some hope.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

YES! My son has slept under a weighted blanket for years. Makes an enormous difference for him. Glad to hear it’s helping your child sleep too.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

SLorenz
      Participant

I’m still hesitant about meds. I’ve decided to take him in for a bioenergetic scan.I have some friends that have had amazing results from it. It scans the body and tells you exactly what needs addressing. Here’s a video from the gal in my area that does it incase anyone else wants to explore it. https://youtu.be/ZNCxQEh5_ow

SLorenz
      Participant

Exciting UPDATE; He is finally sleeping like a baby after his grandma brought him over a weighted blanket she made him. They are available online and on Amazon,too. I have a handful of adult friends who swear by them and encouraged me to try it. He’s doing bio-energetic rest next week to figure out any imbalances.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.