Anxiety as (generic)adderall wears off

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Anxiety as (generic)adderall wears off

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      AutumnDraidean
      Participant

So I’m on 20mg and I’m supposed to take it once a day in the morning and when I do take it I do wonderful for about 3 and 1/2 hours and then the anxiety sets in. It’s intense and lasts for about 90 minutes. It leads me to not want to take the med.

I’ve always had generic and so far it’s always been from the hated aurobindo.

What I want to know is if other people have this happen as the med wears out. Do I look into asking for a second dose? I need to know what to ask for and the reasoning behind it because of how I interact with my doctor.

There is some underlying anxiety but it’s usually triggered by things any rational person might be anxious over.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Stimulants often increase anxiety. That could be the cause. If you’re taking an immediate release Adderall, it only lasts 4 hours and this might be the crash as it’s wearing off. Most people find that time-release medications wear off more gently. You might ask your doctor about trying that.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Ella C
      Participant

Have you been on the medication for long? Sometimes the comedown gets a little more bearable with time. It’s definitely something to bring up with your doctor though because sometimes this calls for adjusting your dose.

I often get anxiety when my adderall wears off too.

A technique I use that helps the anxiety a little is to remind myself that I am feeling that way because my meds are wearing off, and that I will feel better soon. Being able to recognize the anxiety as just a side effect helps make it more bearable for me.

Switching to extended release can also help with the comedown. Extended release is a lot more mind but is also much more consistent throughout the day.

AutumnDraidean
      Participant

Me again.

The following is a bit of a vent of my frustration.

Trying the longer acting med. I was given 20mg of generic Adderall XR and it’s not that great. I am waiting on a call from a local psychiatry office because I’m super frustrated. If I take it daily the anxiety will increase each day, lasting longer each day. So I took a break from it and took it again today. My “on task and focus” time was about 5.5 hours but I was anxious the entire day and still am now, it’s dropped some, but still there.

When the med is onboard and I’m not anxious it’s terrific. I can do the things I want/need to do and I don’t slough off or avoid stuff as readily. But that’s so seldom the case that I’m getting frustrated now.

I faxed my intake paperwork to the psychiatry people on Jan 9, if February 12 rolls in and no word I’ll call them again. My own doctor is kind, and will try, Rxing usually what I ask for. the thing is, I can’t talk with her directly it’s all handled through a medical assistant. The one who knew me as an RN and a person outside the office has left and her replacement knows NOTHING about me. It’s intimidating and a little insulting to have to as an RN, talk to my doctor through a medical assistant. I also wonder why I have to. but that is not a discussion for here (Other than sympathy and support) Do other people have this issue with Dr offices? One would think, dealing with a C-II drug, that I would rate a call back, is it trust in my integrity or disregard for me as a pt. Enquiring minds would LOVE to know.

It is reassuring that other people deal with anxiety from this med. It helps me a great deal to remind me of this when I’m all anxious.

I looked at my bottle and Walmart didn’t print mfg on label. It wasn’t Aurobindo, that I do know. Sadly I threw away the novel it came with.

AutumnDraidean
      Participant

I am so frustrated I am in tears! I called the psychiatry practice back after not hearing from them. They are very nice, no doubt about that. HOWEVER they don’t prescribe controlled substances.

File under “Whoever heard of a dump closed on Thanksgiving!” Ok I get it. I totally get it from a liability and nuisance standpoint. It just doesn’t seem like it’s going to meet my needs. I worry about dropping $200 for the first visit and $100 for followups with a practice that doesn’t use a full palette of meds. I worry that it will be hard to orchestrate meds if amphetamine salts, with some tweaking are the right course for me. My primary care doctor is sweet and I like her well enough but if I want to talk to her I have to make an appointment and pay for that too.

I’m not mad at the psychiatry practice or my primary care doctor… (big pharma on the other hand…)

The whole reason I wanted to go to a psychiatry practice was to deal directly with people who knew their way around the meds. Who could work with me to tweak things until we got them right, to rx perhaps 10 days instead of 30. someone I could call and ask a question of and maybe not run the question through an extra person or two.

Doesn’t seem the case.

I think I’m going to return to systems management and brute force to get through. It’s a damned shame.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.