Am I dealing with adhd here? Please help

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Am I dealing with adhd here? Please help

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anu_dey
    Participant

Hi all
    Got a 4.5 year old son who has a been a hyperactive toddler right from the age of one.
    It is difficult for him to sit in one place for long.He usually avoids activities which require his persistent attention like craft or puzzles.
    He has the habit of hitting his cousins.
    Another thing is that he is very careless with his toys and normally destroys his toys.
    Another major concern for me is his social behaviour. Gets over excited at family gatherings and at times misbehaves and is quite impulsive.
    However he does not engage in other dangerous be behaviour like walking unsupervised in the park or on the road.
    He has no temper tantrums.
    Also he is quite well behaved in school though quite withdrawn and quiet.
    I am always worried about him.
    Do u think we are dealing with adhd here?have tried fish oil in the past though didn’t work much

PocoPer
    Participant

Hi,

Trust your instincts. If something is telling you that he’s not like “typical” 4.5 year olds, follow that voice. Have you talked to his pediatrician about your concerns? If the pediatrician isn’t giving you what you need, then go to the next step and talk to a psychologist who’s well-versed in ADHD and associated conditions. Have you checked out the links on this site? Look under “Symptom Tests & Info” there are self checkers such as https://www.additudemag.com/category/understand-conditions/symptom-tests/ and others… use the resources here.

The best piece of advice I could give you is to not lose any more time. I suspected something was up with my son when he was little and was always told that I was looking for issues that weren’t there. Fast forward a few years later and my son has been diagnosed with a few co-existing conditions. You know your child the best, so listen to that voice that’s telling you something’s up.

The good news is that if there is something going on, you’re finding out early and early intervention is great.

Keep us posted!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Yes, definitely complete one of the online self-tests to see if your suspicion could be appropriate:

[Self-Test] Could Your Child Have ADHD?

Of course, the only way to know is to get a professional and thorough evaluation:

ADHD in Children: Symptoms, Evaluations, Treatments

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.